Buddy Breathing

Should Buddy Breathing be eliminated from diver training?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thal would you be happy if I replaced the term DCI with AGE in all my posts on the topic? lol
It makes no difference in reality, I just thought the distinction was important within the topic we were on ... a rose by any name, etc.
AGE is a very common diving injury. Divers are taught to keep their air way open from day one yet AGEs still continue to happen.
What conclusion should we draw from that? AGE is a big problem? Divers are stupid? Training sucks?
Why is it assumed an inexperienced diver will remember to keep his air way open while panicked during a CESA?
Once someone is panicked they are on autopilot, if you do want them embolized, apply selection criteria and/or provide training that reduces the odds of panic.
Personally I think CESA should be the last ditch option after buddy breathing but that might just be me.
I agree, BB first then ESA, but then I'm dealing with a more competent population.
Buoyanct ascent shouldn't be on the table since a diver shouldnt be diving so over weighted that they cant do a CESA but I guess it's fair to keep it as an option when so many divers do over weight themselves.
Our students, literally, do fifty to a hundred buoyant ascents, both free and scuba, as part of doff and don training.

It makes no difference in reality, I just thought the distinction was important within the topic we were on ... a rose by any name, etc.
What conclusion should we draw from that? AGE is a big problem? Divers are stupid? Training sucks?
Once someone is panicked they are on autopilot, if you do want them embolized, apply selection criteria and/or provide training that reduces the odds of panic.
I agree, BB first then ESA, but then I'm dealing with a more competent population.

Our students, literally, do fifty to a hundred buoyant ascents, both free and scuba, as part of doff and don training.

What are we arguing about again? lol

:D

Nomenclature.:D

Van Isle:
Buddy breathing is dangerous.

True, buddy breathing is dangerous in certain situations. If you've never learned to buddy breathe or if you've learned it incorrectly or if you've not had enough practice. Of course SCUBA diving is dangerous in certain situations. If you've never learned to SCUBA dive or if you've learned it incorrectly or if you've not had enough practice. If you've learned to buddy breathe correctly and you've practiced the skill, it's an easy way to get both divers to the surface alive. It beats the hell out of an ESA.

Sloth:
DCI is a term used to describe DCS and AGE.

DCI is a useless term. DCS is very clear, so is AGE. DCI is sloppy. I'd be happy if it were never used again.

DCI is a useless term. DCS is very clear, so is AGE. DCI is sloppy. I'd be happy if it were never used again.

AGE and DCS symptoms overlap. AGE and DCS treatment is the same. Distinguishing between the two is worthless for a first responder and most in the medical field.

Paramedics and the first doctor on the scene doesnt give a crap what you think he has. They only need to know from you that he has DCI. AGE, DCS type I, II, III, IV? Who cares? It 's almost impossible for someone on a dive boat to diagnoses the differences and the treatment is the same no matter. Give them oxygen, get them to a chamber is all we need to know.

Let the Doctors trained in decompression and barotrauma decide if he has AGE or DCS.

AGE and DCS symptoms overlap. AGE and DCS treatment is the same. Distinguishing between the two is worthless for a first responder and most in the medical field.

Paramedics and the first doctor on the scene doesnt give a crap what you think he has. They only need to know from you that he has DCI. AGE, DCS type I, II, III, IV? Who cares? It 's almost impossible for someone on a dive boat to diagnoses the differences and the treatment is the same no matter. Give them oxygen, get them to a chamber is all we need to know.

Let the Doctors trained in decompression and barotrauma decide if he has AGE or DCS.

Actually,

I have a bit of real-world experience with this. The impression that I get is if you tell the EMS "diving accident" that they really don't give a rats patoot if it's AGE, DCS, Drowning, trauma or hemorrhoids, they're going to push the same buttons.

R..

Actually,

I have a bit of real-world experience with this. The impression that I get is if you tell the EMS "diving accident" that they really don't give a rats patoot if it's AGE, DCS, Drowning, trauma or hemorrhoids, they're going to push the same buttons.

R..

That's the way they should respond. I had a dive buddy that had a doctor with limited knowledge of decompression injures over analyze the symptoms and decide that a chamber ride wasn't needed. 6 hours later released from the ER with no change in symptoms. Goes to a navy facility and a SEALs doc immediately placed him in the pot. I think he did a total of 3 chamber rides. If that initial doc would have treated it as a generic DCI case and placed him in the chamber his experience probably wouldn't have been so strenuous.

The distinction is only of import when discussing causes and their prevention.

Back
Top Bottom