Buddies and Photography

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Uncle Pug:
Well it's true. We DIR divers are the best at everything all at the same time. :D
What do you say UP. Should we invite her along on one of our DIR photo safari's? :D

Uncle Pug:
Hey Hey Hey.... lets correct that misunderstanding right here and now.

We are the lightside. Everyone else is in the dark. :D

For those of you who don't know Pug... As he types this, his cheek is barely able to contain his tongue. :D:D:D

Uncle Pug:
Hey Hey Hey.... lets correct that misunderstanding right here and now.

We are the lightside. Everyone else is in the dark. :D

well, I wasn't going to SAY that. it's just that you, Bob, and OEX2 aren't going to get much of a debate all sitting in here and agreeing with each other. Leesa is being honest, describing how it goes. And no one is watching her. That rattling sensation are neurons firing here in places where we get a little sunshine to fire up our brain chemistry.

If I am diving with you, taking pictures, I will do my best. I am just saying I don't think it will be good enough for you all and so it is better to call it like it is.

Had she been diving with DIR photographers, it would have been a different scenario. Now that is not to say in all of this that only DIR divers can do this.

Anyone who puts buddy awareness as the number one focus of the dive will be able to do the same. DIR is only one avenue to have this awareness ingrained within the diver.

That said there are plenty of divers that are excellent photographers and excellent buddies. It is a choice to become this way and it is a practiced skill set. Not everyone wants make this sort of effort and that is a choice on their part.

catherine96821:
If I am diving with you, taking pictures, I will do my best. I am just saying I don't think it will be good enough for you all and so it is better to call it like it is.

That's why we dive well together. I know where you are....and that is all that matters.

I know where you are....and that is all that matters.

Hawaii.. somewhere in Hawaii.

Maybe there is a difference in the attention paid to dive buddies because of environment. We dive in cold dark low viz water. You dive in warm light clear water.

What do you think?

Is there any DIR training specifically for UW photographers? Or any publications, etc.?

Uncle Pug:

follow the bubbles :D

Maybe there is a difference in the attention paid to dive buddies because of environment. What do you think?

It does indeed make a difference if you have 10' vis or if you have 100' vis

Uncle Pug:

Maybe there is a difference in the attention paid to dive buddies because of environment. What do you think?

YES and I came up with an excellent theory a while back and shared it with all the warm water people....and the Cali, Mexico, and Florida people. And basically there was a consensus. We did not tell the DIR core group in PNW because we wanted to use our social situational awareness and not make anyone feel less fortunate.

Brain rattle: It basically all comes down to how much of a worrier you are. The more sun you get, the better the weather is, the less you worry. If you are not worried about much, you dive very differently. In the Caribbean, or anyplace close to the equator, people tend not to worry OR follow procedures like DIR and such.

What I'm thinking is that divers (who are habituated to having good buddy skills) are more attentive in places like the PNW where conditions are rife for buddy separation.

Jcsgt - not that I am aware of. The buddy skills drummed into you carry over nicely though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom