Buddies and Photography

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Uncle Pug:
Catherine... you are talking to hear your head rattle. :D
or the wind chimes

catherine96821:
well, where are all these great underwater pictures anyway? I have seen the topside ones. And they are outstanding. I bet that 4,000 dollar Aquatica is sitting in the closet with a layer of dust.
Actually it sits in a locked closet. With its two strobes it is a royal PITA to use unless someone is paying me professionally to use it. My P&S is on my desk and I'll have a housing by August for my new D200.

catherine96821:
Certain people yes, you can "buddy" with. Except if they run out of air and you are behind the macro, deep in Zen, well get ready for an unanticipated body slam. I would rather call it what it is.--two Solo divers facilitating a safer dive for each other, but there must be a clear distinction for everyone's expectations (and assets) to stay protected.
Have you ever looked through your viewfinder with both eyes open? I shoot this way all the time so that I know what is going on at all times on a broader level. One eye - my right one is completely concentrating on the framing of the subject in the viewfinder. My left eye concentrates on the total scene. It is a similar awareness that is used when being in the moment of shooting something underwater, yet still being very much aware of your surroundings.

I think it depends on the goal of the dive. I shoot professionally topside, and find myself shooting the occassional UW assignment. And if I'm shooting an assignment I'm more focused on making pictures than enjoying the dive. So my buddy will be aware of that and be a wing-man of sorts.

If I'm diving for fun or training and I have the camera then it's a different story. However, I'm ALWAYS aware of where my buddy is and make sure they know where I am. And there is no picture worth losing my life over, above water or below.

wind chimes. yea...okay. In the meantime, my dives are working out okay (for me).

I think espousing all this DIR and simultaneously taking photographs (MANUALY) and being a great buddy is disengenuous. Of course, like I said it depends on the caliber of dive partner you have.

bladephotog:
I think it depends on the goal of the dive. I shoot professionally topside, and find myself shooting the occassional UW assignment. And if I'm shooting an assignment I'm more focused on making pictures than enjoying the dive. So my buddy will be aware of that and be a wing-man of sorts.

If I'm diving for fun or training and I have the camera then it's a different story. However, I'm ALWAYS aware of where my buddy is and make sure they know where I am. And there is no picture worth losing my life over, above water or below.
Ditto. I couldn't agree with you more. Shooting professionally underwater I have a buddy that is like my assistant topside.

I think espousing all this DIR and simultaneously taking photographs (MANUALY) and being a great buddy is disengenuous.
Well it's true. We DIR divers are the best at everything all at the same time. :D

Uncle Pug:
I agree. Buddy skills come first... then you can add other stuff like cameras and killing scallops.

:rofl:

Most of the time when I go diving with the camera I bring up the rear (with camera I am not a guide, just going along for fun)...Basically I'm solo, no one watches me (well maybe hubby but he wouldn't admit it:wink:) but I watch everybody. I know where my group is - who is wondering off and getting themselves into trouble, I will stop having fun and "heard the sheep", taking pictures in the moments in between. It usually hurries me to dive with a group of non picture takers and causes me to miss some opportunities...but I don't want to lag behind and be far from my hubby if I needed him. Basically I have to watch out for mayself

catherine96821:
I think espousing all this DIR and simultaneously taking photographs (MANUALY) and being a great buddy is disengenuous.
How would you know? You have yet to come over to the darkside. :D:D:D

Back
Top Bottom