Buckle Placement

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jaymal

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi Tobin,

When I first assembled the webbing I received with the BP/Wing I originally cut the webbing with no slack. It worked fine until I switched to a dry suit and found the webbing just a little too short. At the same time I also put the buckle on the right side (right side if you are wearing the BP) so that the buckle was a left hand release. My thinking was left hand to release the harness and right hand to release the weight belt.

I know this is contrary to your instructions and all the examples I have seen photos of.

With the new dry suit I decided I need to re-web the BP and not cut the web too close. I also decided to follow your instructions and put the buckle on the left side so that it is a right hand release (same as the weight belt). This means the buckle needs to pass through the loop in the crotch strap. I have found that the buckle tends to catch in the loop of the crotch strap whenever it passes through. This means you have to take a bit more care in getting the strap and buckle through the loop when strapping the harness in and again when releasing it. Yesterday in the pool when I tried to quickly ditch my weight belt I released the harness buckle and then the weight belt and found the harness buckle caught in the crotch strap loop with my weight belt dangling underneath.

Is this the way it is supposed to work?

What are the advantages of having the harness and the weight belt both right hand release? Especially if the harness buckle is going to catch every time? It seems easier to have the buckle on the strap that does not get webbed through the crotch strap.

Finally, does it really matter in the end if I decide to put the buckle on the right waist strap?

Thanks!

Jeremy

Hi Tobin,

When I first assembled the webbing I received with the BP/Wing I originally cut the webbing with no slack. It worked fine until I switched to a dry suit and found the webbing just a little too short. At the same time I also put the buckle on the right side (right side if you are wearing the BP) so that the buckle was a left hand release. My thinking was left hand to release the harness and right hand to release the weight belt.

I know this is contrary to your instructions and all the examples I have seen photos of.

With the new dry suit I decided I need to re-web the BP and not cut the web too close. I also decided to follow your instructions and put the buckle on the left side so that it is a right hand release (same as the weight belt). This means the buckle needs to pass through the loop in the crotch strap. I have found that the buckle tends to catch in the loop of the crotch strap whenever it passes through. This means you have to take a bit more care in getting the strap and buckle through the loop when strapping the harness in and again when releasing it. Yesterday in the pool when I tried to quickly ditch my weight belt I released the harness buckle and then the weight belt and found the harness buckle caught in the crotch strap loop with my weight belt dangling underneath.

Is this the way it is supposed to work?

What are the advantages of having the harness and the weight belt both right hand release? Especially if the harness buckle is going to catch every time? It seems easier to have the buckle on the strap that does not get webbed through the crotch strap.

Finally, does it really matter in the end if I decide to put the buckle on the right waist strap?

Thanks!

Jeremy

Jeremy,

The waist buckle is intended to be secured to the left waist strap, as per the instructions.

The loop in the end of the crotch strap is quite large, the buckle passes freely through this loop. I'm not sure how it could "hang up", either donning or doffing.

Did you lace the webbing though the buckle as per our instructions?

Tobin

The crotch strap loop does not seem particularly large. A dive buddy who has a Halycon rig looked at it and commented that it seemed a bit small but we did not compare my loop to his. To me the loop seems just slightly larger than the buckle.

3294653554_8d4dddaa9a_o.jpg

I am fairly certain I have laced the buckle correctly.

3293828043_3d6a7a01de_o.jpg

The crotch strap loop does not seem particularly large. A dive buddy who has a Halycon rig looked at it and commented that it seemed a bit small but we did not compare my loop to his. To me the loop seems just slightly larger than the buckle.

Your crotch strap is fine, the the loop is plenty large enough. Your buckle appear to be laced per our recommendations.

Tobin

Hmmm, I put the buckle on diver's left side, diver's right hand pulls toward center to release and the right side strap goes through the crotch strap loop, the buckle does not. Am I missing something or have it wrong?

Also, the rig webbing is so much stiffer than the crotch strap webbing. Why is that? Will it get less stiff with use or in the water?

Hmmm, I put the buckle on diver's left side, diver's right hand pulls toward center to release and the right side strap goes through the crotch strap loop, the buckle does not. Am I missing something or have it wrong?

Also, the rig webbing is so much stiffer than the crotch strap webbing. Why is that? Will it get less stiff with use or in the water?

I do it this way too, I see no problems except less room on the left side belt for pouches.

True, but I also like it this way because the knife pouch loop make a great place to tuck the extra webbing. I've also got room on the right for other items which may change for different dives - and they don't have to go over the buckle.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom