Buckle for small cylinders, where to buy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes! Did you see what I wrote, if you have a shorter buckle you don't need a smaller radius
I do not fully agree. No matter if buckle is long or short, radius must fit cylinder. If buckle is very short a large radius is not as bad as a large radius on a long buckle. But still a large buckle radius does not fit a small cylinder radius.

A short buckle is not able to tighten a belt as strong as a long buckle can do, law of levers.

My idea is:
- buckle of common length, law of levers, heavy thightness
- small radius of 55mm, 110 diameter. Perfectly fits a 110mm cylinder (2 lt), fits more or less a 100mm cylinder )1 lt)
- ss, I broke a lot of plastic buckles, I do prefere ss
- ligth weight. ss often are much to heavy which does not make sense. They are strong so you cam make them light.

Still working on my taylor made buckles in ss. Even if they work I prefere a buckle out of the box.

I do not fully agree. No matter if buckle is long or short, radius must fit cylinder. If buckle is very short a large radius is not as bad as a large radius on a long buckle. But still a large buckle radius does not fit a small cylinder radius.

A short buckle is not able to tighten a belt as strong as a long buckle can do, law of levers.

My idea is:
- buckle of common length, law of levers, heavy thightness
- small radius of 55mm, 110 diameter. Perfectly fits a 110mm cylinder (2 lt), fits more or less a 100mm cylinder )1 lt)
- ss, I broke a lot of plastic buckles, I do prefere ss
- ligth weight. ss often are much to heavy which does not make sense. They are strong so you cam make them light.

Still working on my taylor made buckles in ss. Even if they work I prefere a buckle out of the box.

And this is one of the main reasons, for the seven long pages you have been thinking out aloud
whilst I have professionally diameter modified fibre impregnated buckles on my gear and in use

046.JPG

Non tank damaging and unbeakable with competent knowledgeable use

And this is one of the main reasons, for the seven long pages you have been thinking out aloud
whilst I have professionally diameter modified fibre impregnated buckles on my gear and in use

View attachment 858386

Non tank damaging and unbeakable with competent knowledgeable use
Looks good indeed. Nevertheless I prefere ss buckles. I broke some plastic buckles, don't trust them anymore. OK, for small cylinders plastic seems to be OK, we don't need very much tension. But I want to use the same buckles for any kind of cylinder.

You say fibre impregnated buckles. Are they stronger? Who is the producer? How can I distinguish them?

First prototype on a 10cm cylinder (2 and 3 lt steel). Fits well, buckle radius is 10cm as well.

Attachments

• 10.1.jpg
    10.1.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 22
  • 10.2.jpg
    10.2.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 21
On a 80cuft cylinder. Works fine as well.

Attachments

• 80cuft.jpg
    80cuft.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 20
Buckle's details.

Attachments

• offen3.jpg
    offen3.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 20
  • offen2.jpg
    offen2.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 18
  • offen1.jpg
    offen1.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 18
I even tried a 8cm cylinder, 1 lt steel. Buckle was not planned for such small cylinders, 10cm minimum. But works fine on 8cm as well. Does not look absolutely perfect but works.

Attachments

• 8.1.jpg
    8.1.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 20
  • 8.2.jpg
    8.2.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 16
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom