Bubbles in my compass

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Your compass could be dying. The float needs fluid to float. If the fluid is evaporating and being replaced by air, the float will not float on air.

My SP LS1 compass was 38-39 years old when it bled to death.

Bubbles are normal. They should not change in size unless you have a leak because the device is isolated from the surrounding water and pressure. If the fluid is indeed evaporating, then you also have a leak because the internal environment is not isolated from the external environment.

Your compass is filled with liquid. Liquid does not compress. This is why an underwater compass will have an air bubble. As you descend into the depths, the air bubble in your compass will allow for compression of the compass housing. It is normal, unless of course the bubble keeps getting larger.

Your compass is filled with liquid. Liquid does not compress. This is why an underwater compass will have an air bubble. As you descend into the depths, the air bubble in your compass will allow for compression of the compass housing. It is normal, unless of course the bubble keeps getting larger.

That makes no sense to me. If the compass is completely filled with fluid then it will not compress at all. Why have a bubble that allows the computer to flex under pressure ?

I think what happens is that pressure at depth squeezes some fluid out at a weak point.Once back on the surface and the pressure is released,air seeps in.

I had a compass once that was failing in this way. If I squeezed it really hard I could see the liquid inside seeping out.

That makes no sense to me. If the compass is completely filled with fluid then it will not compress at all. Why have a bubble that allows the computer to flex under pressure ?

I think what happens is that pressure at depth squeezes some fluid out at a weak point.Once back on the surface and the pressure is released,air seeps in.

I had a compass once that was failing in this way. If I squeezed it really hard I could see the liquid inside seeping out.

That would be my concern, that the bubble indicates a crack and a leak. Neither of my two compasses have any bubbles.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom