Suggestion BSAC Sub Forum

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I understand why it hasn't happened yet, as Edward3c explained, but I hope it happens in the future. Not because I anticipate seeking them out for training, but because I'd like to see their model in the conversation on the dive industry and possible alternatives to how things are done.

We see threads over time that hit on repetitive themes, such as:

1.) The U.S. dive industry is allegedly in decline.

2.) The Local Dive Shop model with affiliated underpaid, overworked, exploited recreational dive training pro.s (mainly certifying through PADI or SSI) is in decline.

3.) What are the alternatives to that system (including PADI and SSI)?

People discuss GUE as an alternative to the dive master path for people wanting to advance their dive skills, for example, not necessarily to get into formal GUE dives with GUE team members.

In an analogous way, it'd be interesting to see divers' thoughts on how the BSAC and CMAS models might work in the U.S., what would be different or the same, and why we don't see more of those here.

Let's say some adventurous, idealistic but practical diver starts or takes over a local dive shop and decides it will use and promote recreational dive instruction through the BSAC or CMAS system. Or maybe an independent PADI instructor who runs a dive club and organizes trips wonders about switching to it. What would that look like in the U.S.?

@Edward3c - got a question for you. If they set up a forum for BSAC, but until you guys decided otherwise it didn't allow most people to post, but rather served more like an announcement and blog post section so you could publish content on it without having the moderate it, would that be of interest? I don't know if that's ever done on ScubaBoard or not; just brain storming.

I'm good with a separate BSAC sub forum as long as anyone can join. From my reading of BSAC standards, they have a solid program, so lurking is something I would do in order to learn and to challenge my outlook on how to teach.

I'm good with a separate BSAC sub forum as long as anyone can join. From my reading of BSAC standards, they have a solid program, so lurking is something I would do in order to learn and to challenge my outlook on how to teach.
BSAC has a great system and I hope BSAC HQ will support the idea of a sub forum one day. I know Edward did try in the past.

BSAC has a great system when members act like members of a club and actually work together and help each other progress. Unfortunately not all clubs in BSAC seem to have members, some have individuals who pay a membership and do nothing to promote or taken part in the club.

BSAC has a great system when members act like members of a club and actually work together and help each other progress. Unfortunately not all clubs in BSAC seem to have members, some have individuals who pay a membership and do nothing to promote or taken part in the club.
Common problem these days

At least they contribute to the cause? :)

Back
Top Bottom