BSA Sea Base 2008

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So, after reading the info you sent a link to, it seems SDI can qualify as a teaching agency but not able too lead dives? I was thinking of working with the scouts when I started my shop, but it will be a SDI shop, and apparently won't qualify unless it were a PADI or NAUI affiliated shop. That's too bad, I was hoping too work with the kids and hopefully help in the growth of the sport I love and feel so passionate about. It seems you are very into the BSA, so, where would a guy go to too talk with someone about SDI becoming a credited agency with the BSA?:confused:

Joe

No - No - NO PADI & NAUI are not the only agencies. Pretty much ANY certifying agencey that is a member of the WRSTC is approved by BSA. All you have to do is contact BSA National to make sure. I haven't heard of any agency member of WRSTC not being able to dive with BSA. BUT I am not BSA National & I suggest you check with them for clarification. In my opinion the distinction of being a "DIVEMASTER" is to set a minimal training level so a "standard" has been reached. Divemaster or equivilent training among these agencies is the minimal entry level into the realm of professional diving. That seems to be the standard followed, not the certifying agency. I have dove with great divers from many different agencies from around the world. you also have to remember that the governments of some country "control" the scuba diving industry in their countries. The United States still allows the diving industry to be self policing & it really has worked well. I am sure you realize what happens in the US when the government gets involved, so the WRSTC keeps a good eye on the industry. Boy I sure don't want to be around if the Washington idiots get their hands on us! By the way..... I looked up the US WRSTC up & SDI (Scubs Diving International) is listed as being a member. Hope this helps AND good luck with the store. List on here your store e-mail so we can keep up with you. I like having contacts all over!!!
YIS
Grady

so, where would a guy go to too talk with someone about SDI becoming a credited agency with the BSA?

Joe,
It sounds like just an inconsistency in the two sections of the BSA's scuba policy. As Grady points out, why would there be any difference in the standards for someone to TEACH scouts vs. LEADING them on group dives? I would think the authors inadvertently omitted the general case of RSTC membership after the first mention in the policy. That's even more evident when you read the latter statement "Student divers must be under the supervision of a currently certified NAUI, PADI, or SSI instructor." That contradicts the earlier statement that "certification may be accepted from other agencies that comply with Recreational Scuba Training Council (RSTC) guidelines, provided that such acceptance has been expressly approved by the BSA local council in consultation with the BSA national Health and Safety Service."

Now that I read it, it sort of sounds like BSA is giving preference to PADI, NAUI and SSI over other cert agencies. It sounds like a scout unit would have to check with their local council before being able to get certed by SDI. Some non-PADI/NAUI/SSI guys might want to write to the National BSA office to request that wording be changed in the BSA's scuba policy.

Mike

An SDI shop in Paramus NJ ran a Scuba MB info class and during summer camp offered free discover scuba sessions to older scouts each week.

SM Troop 65 Cedar Grove, NJ

Back
Top Bottom