BSA Florida SeaBase

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pez7378

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all. I have a quick question about the Boy Scouts SeaBase. If anyone can help I'd really appreciate it. I have a friend who is taking his son there next summer and He was wondering what kind of equipment they issue for diving. I also posted in the other forum but it doesn't seem to get much traffic. He is debating whether he should purchase gear and pack it along, or if the equipment they use is sufficient and well maintained.

Again, if any of you can respond that'd be great.

From the other corner of the Country......

here is the link to their website, which as far as I can tell does not mention anything about supplied/rental equipment http://www.bsaseabase.org/ also, there is a forum here which is specifically related to youths and scouts in scuba, etc...you're question might be better answered there.....here's the link...nevermind...you've already posted there as well....p.s.-tell your friend that once his son has dove in the Keys, he might not return home again!

if you find out that they provide gear, i wouldn't worry about the upkeep/quality of the gear. i spent 7 years in the scouting program and went to several high adventure programs, and at every one of them they place saftey first and second on the priority list. on many different high adventure activities they placed saftey standards that are much higher than traditional recreational minimums. it wouldn't surprise me if they cut their matinence time table in half, or at least by a third (so equipment gets checked almost twice as often).

I did not know about this. Scouting seems to be great for kids. I did a weekend with them as a NRA instructor at a local range in Orlando years ago. It was a great way to volunteer my time.

I'd be interested in volunteering DM time to this.. perhaps I'll give em a ring.

Thank you all for your responses. I will report back to my buddy Ken and he can be sure that he can get all the info he needs to make some informed decisions. It's good to hear that safety is so important to those that run the programs. What a fantastic example to set for the kids. I'm sure it gives the parents the peace of mind they need to relax and enjoy the experience. (Happy parents = Happy kids = Happy Parents!)

Orlando Eric:
I'd be interested in volunteering DM time to this.. perhaps I'll give em a ring.

Just be sure to resist the temptation to "spit on your hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats!!!":D :D :D

I love that quote, never heard it before but boy is it true!

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom