browser problems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry folks... we are running on a sick, sick server and it's terminal!

Fortunately, we are preping the new ones RIGHT NOW and we hope to have the move completed within a week or so. Wish us luck!

deepstops:
And since eveyone that's been specific has reported they were running Win2K, I think it's a Windoze problem :shakehead
A Mac? Please, be serious :11:

:lol: Yes, a windows problem but not an OSX problem.

I may use windows at work but I use a Mac at home. Like they say: "the right tool for the right job.":wink:

Whenever I try to reply to a post or even look at anything, the browser just hangs. I have to wait a bit and try to get through again. I can't blame it on Internet Exploder since I'm running the latest Firefox.

I am prepared to give Last Rites to the server if anyone needs the assistance :)

IE might be "the" standard, only because Microsoft says so. I do not, and MOST people do NOT run web-based Oracle and SAP applications. People who do that are a very small minority of the crowd. If you need it for that, great--use it. Like tankboygreg said, use the right tool for the right job. For me, IE is great for doing Windows Updates, and that's it (I do not run automatic updates). Firefox and Safari for everything else.

After working for a while at a computer repair place fixing spyware and viruses EVERY DAY for HOURS on end, you soon realize how pathetic IE truly is. When people don't keep their computers updated (read: windows updates) and click on popups, IE just lets in the spyware...ActiveX, while neat in theory, is just a big hole waiting to be exploited.

[rant off] :)

NetDoc:

It's one of those hand-cranked models, isn't it? :)

SparticleBrane:
IE might be "the" standard, only because Microsoft says so. I do not, and MOST people do NOT run web-based Oracle and SAP applications. People who do that are a very small minority of the crowd. If you need it for that, great--use it. Like tankboygreg said, use the right tool for the right job. For me, IE is great for doing Windows Updates, and that's it (I do not run automatic updates). Firefox and Safari for everything else.

After working for a while at a computer repair place fixing spyware and viruses EVERY DAY for HOURS on end, you soon realize how pathetic IE truly is. When people don't keep their computers updated (read: windows updates) and click on popups, IE just lets in the spyware...ActiveX, while neat in theory, is just a big hole waiting to be exploited.
[rant off] :)

IE is "the" standard because it's what more than 80% of the world uses, not because MS says so. Spyware and viruses are targeted to IE because they're written to target the largest audience.
As far as Firefox being more secure, spammers and hackers are finding plenty of flaws there as well. The same night I installed the latest IE security updates, I installed a Firefox security patch. As Firefox starts to reach a wider audience, it will become a bigger target to the spammers and hackers.
For those of us who actually do business on a PC, IE is what gets the job done.

Since this discussion isn't helping Pete & team fix the problem, it's probably best we just conserve the bandwidth :)

I often can't get on the site (IE and Firefox) which I just assumed was a traffic load problem.

Totally off topic bu I can't resist. It's funny the things that get people arguing on this board. I work for state government and I use Firefox. SOme other agencies use IE. It all gets the job done and most of the time it's personal preference or IT standards.
What I'm really curious about is whether there's a correlation between DIR divers/non DIR divers and IE/Firefox users.

Obviously, I'm joking, but it's the first thing that came to mind and you all get to share in my thought now :)

NetDoc:

Fortunately, we are preping the new ones RIGHT NOW and we hope to have the move completed within a week or so. Wish us luck!

I have a suggestion. Once the move is complete, drop the old server into the ocean as an artificial reef! Then, we can go dive it and say, "see! there's that piece of **** that made SB so slow."

FD

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom