Brother just moved to Austin..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lane is actually Layne and is also LVX here on scubaboard.

It will be interesting to see how Toms does with teaching Advanced Nitrox as they only pump air. BYON ?? :)

ianr33:

It will be interesting to see how Toms does with teaching Advanced Nitrox as they only pump air. BYON ?? :)

That's simple! You will show them how EAN21 is the best mix for all your diving needs down to 180feet. :wink:

ianr33:

Prolly the same thing they do for the rest of the Nitrox classes, outsource the gas fills to AAS or Diveworld. And my bad on the spelling, its fixed now!

Tom's is the classic fun dive shop, been there for years; but they couldn't spell technical, if you spotted them the "technica_". Austin Aqua Sports is the in-town shop with the most knowledgeable staff. Although, George Peel, owner of Clearwater Divers in Austin, is one of the country's great instructors.

Austin is very lucky to have a lot of good instructors, but I'll echo Daniel's recommendation of George Peel.

Without George, we would not be the divers we are today. He really pushed us to be better, he challenged us when we were getting complacent, and he never gave up on us when we were struggling.

Unlike some folk, we are not natural in the water, and had certain fears and issues that needed to be overcome. George spend the extra weekends in the lake to make us safe and confident divers.

George puts in as much effort as you want to put into the class. For our AOW, we did 8 dives. One of the navigation dives was a 82 minute dive.

We love George, but sometimes he can be over the top. If you like his sense of humor, he'll be one of the best instructors you will ever find.

Writing this makes me realize how much we miss Austin and a proper mexican martini.

Let me throw a wrench in the works and say that I'm the DIR type, and my brother is the type of guy who would want a very tough, very rigorous, structured, somewhat military-style, "superior" and "Correct" type of training. That change anyone's suggestion?

jonny,

"...very tough, very rigorous, structured, somewhat military-style..."

It's Austin, nothing like that exists here, in any form of life. And you make me laugh with DIR stuff, no DIR shops here, we're too diver educated. Austin is a major diving center of the country. Thousands of divers are certified in our county EVERY YEAR from OW through Trimix instructors; there are eight Course Directors in the area. But to answer you directly, George Peel is old-school, as described above; and Oak Hill Scuba can offer the type of program that he might enjoy, as they are old-school NAUI.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom