Broken P-Valve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

do it easy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I had a leaky P valve that has been buggin me for the last few dives. I was in denial at first, but I finally got around to "fixing" it. It turns out that the one way check valve wasn't working too well, and would let "water" into the suit. I used a catheter and a large water bottle to flush out the scuba crud and it seems to be working fine now. Technically, I didn't fix anything since I didn't take anything apart and I wasn't drinking a beer while I did this.

Has anyone had a problem with the check valve or know how they work? I'm wondering if there is a part that is deteriorating that is causing this or maybe I just passed a kidney stone and didn't realize it. I also flushed the whole thing with some white vinegar. Does anyone think this is a bad idea?

I have a Halcyon balanced P valve and mainly dive in fresh water, in case it makes difference.

Check valves suck and leak. Get rid of them. If you insist on having them, replace them when (not if) they start to leak :wink:

jonnythan:
Check valves suck and leak. Get rid of them. If you insist on having them, replace them when (not if) they start to leak :wink:

Are you suggesting an unbalanced p valve? It might be urban legend, but I was under the impression that the balanced type makes things much more comfortable, especially if there is a pressure differential between the suit and water. Is this true or was someone trying to sell me a more expensive p valve?

I've been using an unbalanced with no issues (and no leaks). All you have to do is "prime" it by urinating a bit before you go underwater, and have the bolt handy (in place or in a pocket) in case of a blowoff.

jonnythan:
I've been using an unbalanced with no issues (and no leaks). All you have to do is "prime" it by urinating a bit before you go underwater, and have the bolt handy (in place or in a pocket) in case of a blowoff.

I'll keep that in mind. It seems to be working now, but if it starts to fail again, then I might convert it to an unbalanced p valve. It would also make it easier to don and doff the suit since the check valve won't be sticking out and snagging the suspenders.

Thanks

hi where can i find check valve?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom