Broken HID?

How many times have you broken your HID bulb?

• Never

Votes: 24 66.7%

Votes: 10 27.8%

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • more than 2

Votes: 1 2.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wanted to know if you have broke it, how? And what you did to prevent it from happening again.

had two break in the new Halcyon lighthead. Both replaced free of charge.

Evidently some of the lightheads had the spring that pre-loads the bezel installed wrong and that allowed the reflector to cock to the side and break the bulb.

The correction for those who want to know:
The spring is slightly hour glass shaped with one end slightly smaller than the other. This smaller end should fit tightly around the bulb socket on the ballast. This spring should not be loose inside the lighthead.

Which head design are you talking about?? I have the 18w, and made a clear 3/8" lexan lens that protects the test tube/bulb when diving. Out of the water I cushion the light when travelling and make sure I don't place it somewhere stupid where it can fall or have a ton af stuff dropped on it. I have heard that there was a batch of bad new style 10 w heads with funky bulbs( and UPs story confirms that) and have two buddies that had problems with them, also.

I believe he is talking about the new style 10w head from halcyon.I pullled mine apart and the small end of the spring was against the reflector while the large end of the spring was around the bulb socket.I turned the spring around so the small end is around the bulb socket.I must admit that i like my light and have never had a problem with it but that is the crappiest made/looking spring i have ever seen.It looks as though they wrapped it around a piece of pipe with some pliers or something.Definitely doesnt match the quality of the light.

The first time that I dived it I forgot about the Halcyon quick release in the middle of the cord.

It released right when I went to rinse the light. Jeez.

$100 mistake.

I keep a koozy on the light head now. I also detach the light head and carry it separately.

This has worked for the last 30 dives or so.

Peter Doege

Been using an 18W for 5 years now, carry a 10W slug in my drysuit pocket "in case" have never broken either of them.

I received a smashed HID bulb in the mail...The package looked like it had been used as a football. Half the packing material was missing as there was one whole side of the box torn clear across. Funny, the light inside didn't survive this...it has been like pulling teeth from a Great White on Coffee to get them to pay the insurance claim.

Brian

Mine's on it's way here by mail.. I sure hope the thing comes in working order.

Luckily, I haven't broken one yet.

I got really scared once when I dropped my light about a foot or two and the light blinked out. I turned the switch off, waited a couple of minutes and turned it back on and then I was all good again.

I've been a bit more careful since that scare =)

Back
Top Bottom