British liveaboard info?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CAPTAIN SINBAD

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello: I am interested in diving the wrecks of Normandy in France. I was told that the best way to do those is to use a liveaboard from UK. Can anyone direct me to a liveaboard in UK that goes to dive wrecks in Normandy? Thanks. CS

Not an answer to your question, but have you considered diving the German High Seas Fleet scuttled at Scapa Flow (Northern Scotland)? I would dive dreadnaughts and cruisers over small landing craft and tanks any day. Scapa Flow is also much more protected so you are less likely to be skunked by heavy seas and weather.

Scuttling of the German fleet in Scapa Flow - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Not an answer to your question, but have you considered diving the German High Seas Fleet scuttled at Scapa Flow (Northern Scotland)? I would dive dreadnaughts and cruisers over small landing craft and tanks any day. Scapa Flow is also much more protected so you are less likely to be skunked by heavy seas and weather.

Scuttling of the German fleet in Scapa Flow - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Scapa flow is great diving and I would love to do that too but from what I have heard, Normandy wrecks are not just small landing crafts. They are heavy transport ships with tanks and other wartime cargo that sank in a little deeper waters than the smaller landing crafts. Scapa Flow is well known for world war wreck diving but I was interesting in bringing to light some lesser known wrecks too.

Al Wright has the Salutay and is spending the next couple of summers diving the Normandy wrecks.

Excellent boat with excellent skipper and Freda is brilliant at everything - especially cooking and baking.

Google "Norsemaid Charters"

Al Wright has the Salutay and is spending the next couple of summers diving the Normandy wrecks.

Excellent boat with excellent skipper and Freda is brilliant at everything - especially cooking and baking.

Google "Norsemaid Charters"

Salutay is a fantastic boat, not the cheapest of charters but well worth the extra - take an expanding drysuit cos the food superb - think he'd probably dive some of the lesser known normandy wrecks too

Al has just posted on FB that he's got a permit from the French do dive the Leopoldville.

I sent them an email on Feb 2nd and they have not gotten back.

I sent them an email on Feb 2nd and they have not gotten back.

Keep at it... Diving those wrecks is a unique and humbling experience.

If you are not getting any joy you can dive from the French side easily enough. There are lots of dive centres that cover the wrecks, but as you are on an English language forum you will mostly get an English perspective. French dive centres tend not to "do" email very well and a phone is the best way. Also it is a big help if you speak French (obviously). For diving from the French side you will need a medical certificate and some form of 3rd party insurance (if you have DAN that will do nicely).

I know a couple of people that have dived with this centre: Epaves The feedback was OK.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom