British Diving Holiday

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Conor that sounds really great I'll bear that in mind and have a look at what I can get. Helping out on survey's would be really interesting.

Nick, I know what you mean about Britain being an expensive holiday compared to going abroad. We are reasonably close to Pembrokeshire so it may be an option but may not given I don't particularly want to spend my holiday at dive sites bumping into every other diver I know :wink:

Ireland is looking like more of a possibility because we now have had a few people from our club express an interest in going which would be good fun and may help us get a better deal :wink:

How about Jersey? Plenty of good shore diving to be had?

One of my new housemates is from Jersey and also happens to be a DM (talk about falling on your feet) She has done some diving there before so we are keeping it as an option.

however it is beginning to look more and more like we will bite the bullet and spend the money on an expensive trip to the south coast of Ireland with a centre who do amazing packages.
Their week long dive safari has one dive, with the option of two others to the Kowloon bridge which is reputed to be the biggest wreck the world. Don't know if that is strictly true but it would certainly be up there among the biggest.

I was in Scapa this summer, and to be honest i could have gone to the Red Sea for the same price, and i would have been garunteed weather, visibility and conditions. I found it a very expensive option, and i live in Edinburgh, so it was not even like i had the cost of driving up to Scotland from the "south" Note : People in Orkney refer to people who live as far north as Aberdeen as "southerners!" I personally think Scapa is a bit over-rated (and i may be seen to be commiting heresy by some here,) i thought with many of the wrecks you may as-well have been diving on a scrap-yard, some of the ships bear little resemblance to..well ships...When i was there the visibility rarely got above 5m (and the weather top-side was ok,) which i was a little dissapointed with, as i had heard there was great visibility up there.

I would suggest many of the wrecks in the Sound of Mull (Oban,)such as the Hispania, Rhondo, Shuna and so on are just as good as Scapa, and the cost of a trip to Oban will be far less than a trip to Scapa. Or alternatively, if you check out www.explorers.co.uk wou will see you can get week long holidays in Sharm El Sheikh for around £300, which will probably be less that a weeks diving holiday in the UK!

Just my ten pence worth.

Sigh - you are not wrong! I would have thought diving here would have been the cheaper option but no!!

This trip to Ireland we are looking at is about £500 before we even think about beer and food money! Still the diving sounds so good, up to thirty metres viz if the weather is good and the dive sites sound fab that I am beginning to think it may be worth it.

Still I have only ever done british diving so maybe it is time I did some warm water diving :wink:

erm this thread is 3 years old

I'd go back to cormwall and take up surfing as then you're gonna have the perfect weather conditions for one sport or the other!!!! Dunno how well this is gonna go down with the hardcore members...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom