BRIGHTSTAR DARK BUSTER : feedback?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gregorio

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi guys

I am really seduced by the BRIGHTSTAR DARK BUSTER 21/24W do any of you got it and can tell me about it?
Thanks

I wouldn't recomend it. With a 6 deg fixed beam, it's going to be a lightsaber in the water. With a HID with that many watts, you'll really want an adjustable beam. I dive a Salvo 21W (which uses the BS bulb) and the only time I use the tight beam is for signaling or in <5' vis (e.g. lake diving).

Either go with a 10W HID or get yourself a can light with a focusable head.

Boy, I virtually ALWAYS use my Salvo on the tight focus . . . We just have so much crud in the water that it's not very useful for signalling any other way.

I do in the lakes but in the caves, I open it all the way. Regardless, it's nice to have the flexibility.

Are you talking about the lantern style light? Like a normal large flashlight? If so I have sold a few of them under a different name and my customers have liked them. I sold them with a video reflector. They are a pretty nice light but not nearly as nice as a cannister, or as expensive.

I have a salvo and I always leave the beam set to tight....works better for me. Never seen the need for a wide flood beam. I played with a video reflector a few weeks ago on my can, it was pretty cool to play with.

Brent

Thank you guys for the help, i think i'll go for it.
Anyone know where I can buy it in Nederland or Europe?

I sell them in the U.S. and don't mind international shipping. If you want PM me your address, with each item on it labeled as to what it is and I will send you a quote.

Brent

One more, last time I chatted with some of the users and salesperson here, it seems to me that at least sometime ago, the light tended to flood once a while, but then the service, according to the users here was v. good, whenever there was a fix, the seller shipped them a new one to use during the fix. Then I've heard some good news about the light, according to the good sales people, the new version is more stable.

1. You may want to find out if you can get the type of service I mentioned above as part of the package.

2. Make sure you can the new version (please check the web site directly).

I debated between the Darkbuster and UK Light Canon. I settled on the UK, as it's about 1/2 the price and decided I'd put the difference towards the canister light fund, as that's what I want in the end anyway. My feedback would apply to either of these lights- due to their weight and grip they're sort of a pain to use. I constantly found myself having to decide between taking the light or my camera on dives, and they're just unwieldy to use. I'm glad I didn't invest >$300 on the Darkbuster, because I'd feel really bad when I end up with the Salvo 21W HID and the Darkbuster ends up sitting at home.

UK100 half the price of the Darkbuster???? You are kidding!

The 10W Darkbuster costs about $300, but including a 5200mAh LiIon battery and a charger for AC and DC use!!! calculate the price for those parts to the UK light and you will have almost the same price. The Darkbuster Junior is even cheaper!

Greetings, Michael

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom