Breathing techniques?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would caution against any sort of slowed, or skip breathing that you might hear about. You get one good Co2 headache and you will not ever try that again.

Generally being in better cardio fitness, should help you keep a low heart rate and learning to swim and be more efficient in the water will help as well. Although I have seen some weird examples of divers that are very overweight that seem to breath like birds.

Might do a little research on propulsion techniques.

Getting more experience allows you to relax and therefore consume less air. But more importantly you need to be working at becoming the best diver you can be during the dives you do. Getting in a horizontal position with no danglies means less drag and therefore less work. proper buoyancy control (ie. can “freeze” at any time during the dive and you will hover in place) and proper weighting that supports easy buoyancy control makes a huge difference. Also not fighting the water and trying to move to fast but rather go slow and try to glide (frog kick is great for this). If you have good stability and control you will notice you bo longer need to use your hands when diving. These are all traits that separate the guys that look out of control from the guys who look comfortable.

From my experience getting your weighting down and getting used to breathing under water are what helps the most. During your dives just stop and try to hover. Do you sink if you are not finning? During your safety stop can you just hang? As for breathing technics for me it just took getting used to it. I used to think about taking in my next breath as I was exhaling, I was taking about 12 breaths per minute. Now my exhale is a very slow trickle and I am pretty relaxed. For me it was 50+ dives before I started seeing significant improvements. I think cardio come into play the most if you are having to fin hard, I try to avoid that as much as possible.

I would caution against any sort of slowed, or skip breathing that you might hear about. You get one good Co2 headache and you will not ever try that again.

Generally being in better cardio fitness, should help you keep a low heart rate and learning to swim and be more efficient in the water will help as well. Although I have seen some weird examples of divers that are very overweight that seem to breath like birds.

Agree. I've noticed quite a few experienced divers agree as well. Exercise/swim/dive technique/weighting/trim--all good things to consider. Altering breathing not so. But, I suppose it can't hurt to pay attention to how many breaths per minute you take. On land, "normal" is 12 to 20. Less than 8 and more than 24 means you may be ill/in trouble (source: 2006 EFR manual).
We all know that besides diving deeper, exertion and speed cause you to use a LOT more air.

There can be some misunderstanding about what is the purpose of "proper breath control". The main purpose is to avoid CO2 accumulation, not saving air!
"breath control" techniques were developed by military divers during WW2 using the ARO, a CC pure-oxygen, chest-mounted rebreather. As you see here, the first versions were equipped with a single hose:
CRESSI%20Aro%20mod.%2047%20-%203.jpg

The scrubber of that rebreather was very poor, as the gas was passing through it back and forth (unlike in modern two-hoses rebreathers). So, for removing CO2, it was necessary to practice an extreme breathing control: very slow, employing completely the lung vital capacity (which means exhaling really all what it is possible to exhale), and practising two pauses, one with all the gas inside the bladder, and one, longer, with all the gas inside your lungs.
The ARO rebreather was widely employed in diving schools here in Italy until 1990, as it was considered very "didactic" before switching to OC Scuba systems.
Going to OC, the expiratory pause is removed, while the inspiratory one is maintained, but reduced to just 4-5 seconds (instead of the 15s recommended when in pure oxygen). Or almost completely removed, but teaching the student employing strongly asymmetrical respiratory cycle, with slow intake and exhaust when the lungs are almost full, and fast exhaust and intake when they are almost empty. This way, for most of the time the exchange surface between blood and gas in your lungs is maximised, improving the capability of removing CO2 from your blood.
Indeed, the respiratory rhythm is still very slow (4 cycles per minute) and using always the full lung vital capacity.
When you learn breathing as above, you will never have CO2 accumulation problems, and your gas consumption will be much smaller than people who were not trained (for months) using it.
However, this approach needed a 9-months-long first level course, which of course is entirely unacceptable for commercial diving agencies, such as PADI or its competitors.
There are also very good reasons for avoiding that people learns this technique, as it can cause other kinds of dangers (but definitely NOT CO2 retention, as it is optimised exactly for avoiding this, maximising the exchange capabilities of the lung surface). These potential dangers are:
1) Lung overpressure and potential barothraumatic emboly if the diver ascend without exhaling, even by just a few feet.
2) As the air consumption is reduced, there is severe risk of prolonging the dive time too much, going well beyond NDL. This is also the reason for which American didactic methods favoured the usage of a single cylinder of limited capacity (typically no more than 12 liters), while traditionally here we were trained using a twin-cylinder of at least 10+10 liters.
In conclusion, commercial training centers suggest to "breath normally" and always avoid to pause your breathing. And there are those two very good safety reasons for teaching this way.
So, before deciding to take the risks connected with learning proper breathing control, evaluate carefully the tradeoff between benefits and added risks.
As an instructor, I changed my approach when switching from teaching in 9-months long courses using mostly the ARO to one-week courses in tropical resorts, starting immediately with an air Scuba system since day one.
In such a short training time it is substantially wrong to teach proper breathing control, the risks do not outweigh the advantages...
And if one student really breaths too much, just give him a larger cylinder. Usually those guys have large shoulders and carry the bigger weight with no problem.

if you can handle them, look into steel 120's. I started diving with them this year for spearfishing, and for single tank diving I don't use anything else now. Love em.

My only advice would be to hold something in your hands while diving - a flashlight, interlace your fingers together, anything - to keep you from sculling with your hands. It's a bad habit to get into, and you won't learn that most of the movement you make can be controlled with your legs/feet/fins. I.e., you can turn by using just one fin. But you'll never learn that if you're using your hands to do that for you.

Otherwise ... time and experience. All of use were/are in the process of refining our breathing and buoyancy. It will get better over time (probably!). :wink:

A few simple things can help with air consumption:
1) Relax - if your muscles are tense you will use more air.
2) Slow down - you are not in a race underwater. Take your time to look at your surroundings, fish etc.
3) Work on trim - ideally you should be able to hover with little input from fins
4) Clasp your hands together - a lot of new divers use their hands excessively to skull. As @Kimela says if you take them out of the equation by crossing your arms, clasping your hands together it can help a lot.
5) Buoyancy control - minimise the amount of air you use in your BCD by getting your weighting right and master using your lungs to affect upward and downward travel.
6) Relax - did I mention this already?
7) Slow down

Don't get too focused on air consumption. Over thinking it can actually make things worse. I find that my first dives after a break are really bad for consumption however once I get back in my stride and relax, my consumption goes down a lot.

Oh did I mention relax and slow down?

It takes time, but you will get better with more experience! Being an efficient swimmer/kicking properly has given me an advantage I think. Not over weighting yourself is another big one. And just stopping mid-dive and checking in with yourself is important. My dive computer tells me how much time I have left at my current air consumption rate. It's a really nice feature. When I first started diving I would look at my rate, and it would force me to focus on my breathing. Once you relax, and slow down your breathing you can see the time go up! It was a fun game to play with myself and I think it really helped my SAC rate. If you don't have a fancy dive computer then maybe set a goal to check in with yourself twice during a dive. How fast am I breathing? Can I slow it down and be OK?

Or just go to Hawaii in March when the whales are singing. You'll spend all your time listening to the whale song that surrounds you instead of breathing. It's great. (But breath continuously!) :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom