Breathing techniques?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

M Parks

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I’m new to diving and have recorded less than 20 deep dives, however my dive times have not increased much, Nitrox100 last me 30-40 mins at 65-90 feet, is there a technique or method of breathing I should be practicing? I would like more dive time but willing to be patient if experience is all it’s going to take. Any suggestions welcomed.

I’m new to diving and have recorded less than 20 deep dives, however my dive times have not increased much, Nitrox100 last me 30-40 mins at 65-90 feet, is there a technique or method of breathing I should be practicing? I would like more dive time but willing to be patient if experience is all it’s going to take. Any suggestions welcomed.

What is Nitrox 100?

Your air consumption gets better as you gain experience. Also helps if you’re not flailing your hands about and aren’t over weighted. Good trim also helps, but that can take some time.

Sorry for the confusion, my tank is usually between 3700-4000psi, and my dive times are very short, although I really enjoy my dive time I would love to increase it...

What is Nitrox 100?

Your air consumption gets better as you gain experience. Also helps if you’re not flailing your hands about and aren’t over weighted. Good trim also helps, but that can take some time.
Yes, I have read this often on SB and believe is it absolutely true. Unless you're like me, who's consumption/dive times hasn't changed much if at all since dive #1. So, I'm either really poor at it or was great from the start...who knows. Some people just use more air--lung size and all. As long as you take Marie's advice and do a few dives, you're doing all that you can. If still no good, you need a bigger air supply.

Thank you very much, I will look these up and read them.
Here is another.

Breath control

Most advice boils down to relax, get in trim and don’t overly worry about it. Experience helps as does finding your Zen underwater.

I have recommended yoga in past threads and have used that myself but don’t know of any research confirming its value.

Edit. Fills to 3700-4000 in WPB? You must be getting fills at Force-e? We were there last week lobster diving and our tanks consistently got “cave fills.” It was wonderful!.

I assume you mean a 100 cf tank? And nitrox vs air will make no difference in air consumption.
You'd be surprised to know how many people think that, including instructors and dive masters >.<

Back
Top Bottom