Breathing technique

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TSandM provides excellent advice - and the concept of underwater breathing being similar to yoga or meditation (or martial arts) is advice I have given to divers for years - an efficient gas exchange in the lungs means you build up less CO2 and therefore need to breathe less.

The faster you breathe, the more you will breathe - because as TSandM states - you're basically rebreathing dead air and you also create turbulence in the trachea which makes the gas exchange even more inefficient. Furthermore, if you are correctly weighted, then rapid breathing tends to make divers remain permanently positively buoyant with respect to the effect of the air in their lungs - and poor buoyancy control is a big hitter when it comes to air consumption. If you are over-weighted, you will use more air to maintain your position in the water, and if you are underweighted, you will work harder to keep yourself submerged, which will significantly affect your air consumption.

The slower you breathe, the less you will need to breathe, because you are eliminating more CO2 more efficently. I have found over the years that if the diver is using good technique and is correctly weighted, then personal fitness does not necessarily have a huge impact on air consumption. I dived with an olympic trained athlete last year and he sucked his tank dry in 35 minutes.

What I generally teach is a regular 5 second in, 5 second out breathing pattern which yes, I know is not necessarily the best, but it's quite easy to maintain on an easy recreational dive. Sip the air from the regulator slowly, rather than gulping - and this is a horrible analogy to use but it's a bit like savouring a good smoke. When people ask me why so many instructors smoke, I often joke that it helps our air consumption because we are practicing our breathing technique all the time! (Note for the anti-smoking lobby - that's a joke - please do not take up smoking!!)

Buoyancy control and efficient finning technique are the key - and then you can work with slowing down the breathing. You will find that underwater nerves will actually be calmed by getting these correct.

Hope that helps

C.

Try yoga- good way to practice becoming aware of your breathing when not underwater. Most gyms have yoga classes that are friendly for beginners, men or women, any age, etc.

And it is good for you :wink:

d.b.

I purchased a 117cf tank because I am an air hog. One thing that, surprisingly, works is to bring a camera underwater with you. If you're taking pictures, you not thinking about breathing, and your breathing will slow down.

Phil

I think what is a deciding factor is: what are your buddies like? Do they go thru air faster or slower than you. Do you have one or two common buddies or do you go thru them like a revolving door?
I did the calcs on my SAC, based on an average over the last 34 dives, 0.55%
Good? Bad? You bet!
But, here's the kicker.....
Virtually every dive I have done in the last 15 years, I have surfaced with about 1000 lbs of air in the tank. Why? Cause my buddy was running on empty.
So, even though I breathe lightly, I feel rather safe on most dives, knowing, if for some reason, my stress level rockets, I will still be able to complete the dive safely.
Work on relaxing and minimizing movement and flopping, of course.
SAC is SAC. A number, that can tell you, over a period of time, if you are really relaxing more, or if an underlying problem has surfaced and needs to be fixed.
If you always have loads of air at the end of every dive, maybe consider switching to a smaller tank - less weight, less stress...
If you are the one to always signal it's time to turn round or that you are low, maybe it's time for some changes. More relaxing (yoga maybe?), or a bigger tank.
Remember, dive shops charge the same to fill a tank from 1000 to 3000 as they do from 500 to 3000....and 500 psi can mean quite a bit extra bottom time! (Geez am I cheap or what?)

Less weight doesn't always = more stress. If I dive in a drysuit with an AL63 because that's all I need with my buddies diving a HP80 then I'm under more stress because I have a weightbelt and crap. I dive with my sidemount 120's or double 100's and I'm hunky dory because I don't need any weight and just chill out. Luckily I get free air, so I don't care if I use 2000 psi out of an 80 or 200 psi out of my 120's, it's the same either way for me.

Less weight doesn't always = more stress. If I dive in a drysuit with an AL63 because that's all I need with my buddies diving a HP80 then I'm under more stress because I have a weightbelt and crap.

The concept of an experienced diver perceiving a weight belt as a stressor completely amazes me. Once my weight belt is on and I'm in the water, it disappears. It only becomes a stressor if I have to climb the ladder wearing it :)

When I did my first OW certification dive, I burned through a LOT more air than my buddy. The instructor suggested humming a song in my head as I breathed. On the second dive, I used about the same amount of air as my buddy who weighs a lot less and usually uses less air anyway.

I've continued to use the humming technique and it has worked for me so far.

When I did my first OW certification dive, I burned through a LOT more air than my buddy. The instructor suggested humming a song in my head as I breathed. On the second dive, I used about the same amount of air as my buddy who weighs a lot less and usually uses less air anyway.

I've continued to use the humming technique and it has worked for me so far.

I listen to the voices in my head when I dive too. It's all very relaxing , except for that one in the back. "Cut Mike Nelson's hose!"

Bob
---------------------------------
I may be old, but I’m not dead yet.

Last edited:
One thing that, surprisingly, works is to bring a camera underwater with you. If you're taking pictures, you not thinking about breathing, and your breathing will slow down.

Phil

Phil...not necessarily true. One of my diving buddies is an air hog...he is even worse with a camera because he then attempts to be at ten different places at the same time to snap pictures. Over time he has improved significantly (he has well over 100 dives) but he is still an air hog compare to ...everybody in our group.. Sometime we (him and I) think I purchased a set of doubles 117 and a 7 ft hose just for him.

On our last liveaboard diving trip, I even reserved him a 100 cft while most of us used 80AL...and we still outlast him. We still have fun and no one is losing sleep over that aspect.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom