Breathing technique

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ajtoady

Contributor
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
:confused::coffee:After breathing above water for 57 years I find myself being an air hog underwater. I do try to breath slow and deep with no holding breath. I still find that I use more air than my buddies. I have bought a couple of 117 cf Fabers because I want to enjoy myself without constantly worrying about cutting my buddy short on his dive. I can say that I am not over exerting myself and while still new I am fairly good at buoyancy control. Any suggestions?

calculate your SAC, that'll give us an idea of how much of an air hog you really are. I dive with guys that are considered "normal" but they thing they're an air hog diving with me. I feel the same way when diving with some of the girls who have like .35 sacs. Mine is low but it's double what there's is.

If you're a big dude, which I am, especially if that is muscle, then you'll almost always have a fairly high sac rate. It takes a LOT of O2 to move big leg muscles, so if you're kicking a fair amount then it may just be that. Calculate your SAC and figure out where you're hanging out. If you're somewhere around .7, you're doing pretty good, especially for a new diver and an older one.

Breathing "deep" isn't quite what you want to do... You want to breathe from the bottom of your lungs, but no where you're taking truly deep breaths. You want to move a little tidal volume. They tell you do breathe "deep" because you shouldn't have air just sitting in your lungs, that tends to screw your buoyancy up a lot and if you breathe "deep", like the deep breath's at the docs, then you're buoyancy will be all over the place. I take fairly small breaths, and end up basically yawning every once in a while. Not a big deal but you have to expect the buoyancy change

Most divers are air hogs when they begin. If you are like most people your consumption will significantly decrease with time and experience. I would agree with the advice to determine your SAC rate (moving, not resting) as a baseline so you can monitor how it changes over time or with changes you make in your diving/breathing technique.

The single best piece of advice for new (or relatively new) divers is slow down. Most new divers swim much too fast which obviously impacts their SAC rate. Remember, the slower you go, the more you see.

I know how you feel though. When I first started I also bought larger tanks so I could extend my bottom time. You might be able to use them as monster doubles some day.

I had realy bad air consumsion. I finaly got it down to (.465 SAC, FROM .8OO+ SAC)I worked on my weighting after I got that dialed in I worked on my kick cycles . I don't kick with my uper leg I kick from the knee or modified frog kick. (if I am just wandering around )If I need a power kick use the hole leg and with all my kick techniques get the most from eack kick. basicly kick glide, kick glide (right then left)i am not perfect yet I still have a long way to go. I hope this is useful information. Good luck and have fun getting there

In reviewing my log my SAC is about .75 ft3 . I don't have a computer yet so it is based on the standard PADI dive tables as far as depth and time. Thanks to all.

In reviewing my log my SAC is about .75 ft3 . I don't have a computer yet so it is based on the standard PADI dive tables as far as depth and time. Thanks to all.

That's not outrageously high.

New Divers' Air Consumption:

30% Bad Weighting
30% Bad Trim
30% Over-exertion
10% Anxiety

Worry to much about your SAC...and the final statistic increases, even when the others drop as you gain experience and control underwater.

Relax, enjoy... and work on your core diving skills. The breathing will fall into place. :D

Greetings ajtoady I would relax and dive some more your SAC will get better.
You might find it easier to dive AL 80s or another lighter tank.
Sometimes bigger tanks only make our SAC worse because they overweight us thus making our trim pretty tough.
Just thoughts but do not be to hard on yourself everyone starts out using plenty of gas.
My record with less than 10 dives was just under 20 min! That was 3000psi AL 80 in about 18-19 min flat!
If I am not mistaken I was at 2200psi before I actually submerged.

It gets much better and then you need more gas to get more dive time at depth!
Be safe and always start the dive with full tanks!

CamG Keep diving....Keep training....Keep learning!

how did you breathe it down that far before you submerged? breathe around mouthpiece was clearly not a basic skill in that class... yikes...

.75 isn't bad. No idea why any tables would have anything to do with your sac though... You need to do it off of average depth, so if you do it off of max depth your numbers will be really high. .75 is actually fairly good for new ish divers and it may or may not come down. If you were a smoker or had other lung issues, minimizing your O2 intake, then it will remain high, or if you're out of shape and tend to get winded easily from kicking then that will keep it high.

No idea what the right then left kicking thing was for a frog kick, but emphasis on the glide. Get a really good stroke going and you'll decrease your effort a fair bit.

All of this is all obvious stuff that will come with time. So. For a .75 with under 50 dives, and new tanks etc etc, that ain't half bad. I wouldn't worry about it and it will probably creep back down on it's own

Back
Top Bottom