breast feeding

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ronit

Reaction score
I'm breast feeding my 3 month baby.
Is there any harm in daving while my body is constantly producing milk?

Do a search on this site using breast feeding as the keywords. The docs had some good responses.

Congrats on the birth of your child!!! As a Certified Nurse Midwife and a Lactation Consultant, I have to stress that no concrete controlled studies have been done in nursing mothers who dive. However, in my experience, I have not found any concrete evidence that this is dangerous. In fact, I have had several patients dive while breast feeding with minimal discomfort. One said she experienced a dull ache in both breasts but had been away from her baby for several hours and was most likely experiencing let down symptoms. Be careful as you need to stay very well hydrated!! Also, when possible, avoid prolonged periods of diving and deep diving as you are more likely to dehydrate faster and accumulate higher nitrogen saturation of tissue. Another consideration of course, is your physical ability to dive. Wait out your 6 week post partum period for a vaginal delivery and 8 weeks for a C-Section. Start off with smaller less stressing dives and always stop the moment you feel tired or experience any pain/discomfort. This post in no way implies a medical diagnosis and with any diving, you do so at your own risk. You should always check with your physician or a certified Dive Physician prior to undergoing any activity that may seem questionable.

Thanks to all of you for your answers.

Back
Top Bottom