Breakwater Residents

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

what are they? At my dive club meeting wednesday someone said they saw something 4 feet long that looked like a sea snake.

Eel-like
True eels are members of the order Anguilliformes, e.g. Morray Eel, but none of the following species are true eels. They all have elongated body with long dorsal and anal fins.
Cebidichthys violaceus - Monkeyface Prickleback
monkeyface_prickleback_3c.jpg

second_monkeyface_pr_1672d8.jpg

Guy

Damn, I think that thing would scare the crap out of me if I met it in murky water.

Eel-like
True eels are members of the order Anguilliformes, e.g. Morray Eel, but none of the following species are true eels. They all have elongated body with long dorsal and anal fins.
Cebidichthys violaceus - Monkeyface Prickleback
monkeyface_prickleback_3c.jpg

second_monkeyface_pr_1672d8.jpg

Guy

I think they are really cute! :)

I found one at McAbee last Sun too and I think it had an egg sack in it's hole, so there may be more soon. :D

Kathy, that's a face only it's mother could love. I'm trying to look at it sympathetically, sad lips, puppy-dogs eyes...The top picture isn't so bad, the bottom one is hard to find "cute"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom