breakwater report: 2/20

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KRL1973

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
2 dives along wall trying out my new drysuit. Not many people out diving on the holiday. Too bad, it was pretty nice both topside and below. Numerous fish observed including several lings and I saw a halfmoon (aka catalina blue perch) this is the first and only time I have ever seen one of these in the monterey area. Makes me wonder if they are in fact rare, or if I just haven't looked closely enough for them before among the mass of blacksmiths and small blues that hang mid-water.

Also observed what I presume to be courtship between painted greenling. 2, presumably the males, having assumed darkened coloration contrasting to it's bright white markings coming alongside the slightly larger female and wiggling in an erratic way, competing for her affection. Witnesses a few of these pairings. Had never seen this before either. Wonder if it is a seasonal thing.

Found a big rainbow Nudi climbing an anemone stalk. Sea lions were absent even at the end of the jetty. Not a single jellyfish seen either.

Falling tide, knee-high surf, easy entry. Temp not observed

Vis variable, some spots just 10-15ft but others 20+. The best vis seemed to be near shore in shallow and along the wall in the kelp

Nice, how did the drysuit feel? Last Saturday I didn't spot any jellies either, and there weren't many (if any) sea lions around. My buddy saw a sea lion underwater and I saw one harbor seal while we were kicking out, but that was about it for marine mammals.

Yea the breakwater and boat launch were very sleepy on Monday. I think the bad weather from the prior two days might have contributed to the lack of divers. Glad you made the trip and were rewarded with decent conditions. We did boat dives at Mating Amtracs and Shale Island - the vis was much better at the shallower location. Shale Island vis was 25+ feet for the entire dive. The best part was no wind and very little swell despite model predictions of 6-8 feet. Sometimes you've just got to show up and see what's up!

i also want to see the mammals underwater.so that this is a fact that the underwater there is also a big mammals like sea lion which is a seal.and same like the other mammals.i want to see that.thanks

Amazing how fast you warm back up exiting the water compared to wet
Are you actually getting cold or just cool in your new drysuit?

I never really get cold cold and rarely if ever shiver. Usually by the time I am back on shore or into the boat I am warm again.

Are you actually getting cold or just cool in your new drysuit?

I never really get cold cold and rarely if ever shiver. Usually by the time I am back on shore or into the boat I am warm again.

Not shivering cold, but the word "toasty" that seems popular with folks decsribing their drysuit was far from my mind. The real difference was exiting the water I suddenly felt myself warming up rather than starting to shiver as I would in my wetsuit at that point.

Found the warm comfort of the drysuit is rather offset by urgent need to pee. Will likely need to install a p-valve.
Topside has been warm and went back to wet for my last few dives and thoroughly enjoyed it. Will likely reserve the drysuit for only cold topside conditions.

ken loomis

Back
Top Bottom