Breakwater Kelp Trolling Report - 10 Aug

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Most likely fecal coliform. I probably would have found another spot to dive.

Now why does coliform get all the notoriety? I'd put in a fair bet that it's just as likely fecal streptococci....

and why didn't I think of this earlier? My camera housing didn't fail, the killer bacteria ate it. :eyebrow:

~Kat

Now why does coliform get all the notoriety? I'd put in a fair bet that it's just as likely fecal streptococci....

and why didn't I think of this earlier? My camera housing didn't fail, the killer bacteria ate it. :eyebrow:

~Kat

Even though I agree it's probably not anything to stress about, I just have a mental block when it comes to submerging my face in water with a warning that has the words "fecal" in it. :dork2:

Think about backpacking in the Sierras or our coastal range. How may bears, horses, deer, birds, etc. urinate and defecate around water? Who has used this water for swimming, washing, cooking, and drinking.

The rivers, lakes, and ocean also have birds and mammals doing their thing nearby or in it.

Does the fecal coliform or enterococcus groups differentiate between humans, sea lions, birds, harbor seals?

Did the person sampling just take one sample using a pole to dip. Perhaps getting some surface water where a sea lion has just pooped nearby?

I wonder sometimes. I know if it is over the limit they resample. But is just one near shore grab once a month good enough for a representative water sample. If they sampled tomorrow, would it still be elevated?

Think about backpacking in the Sierras or our coastal range. How may bears, horses, deer, birds, etc. urinate and defecate around water?

I don't know about them but I'm guilty as charged.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom