Breakwater Kelp Trolling Report - 10 Aug

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

janeothejungle

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So I arrived to gray, sprinkley skies this morning, but luckily a cup of coffee and 3 donuts bolstered my good spirits at not having to be at work. I saw a small group of divers heading out on a zodiac and a trio gearing up farther down the pier, other than that, the place was almost eerily empty.

warning.jpg

Funny, eh? I always thought illness was the reason we go in.

So I geared up at a leisurely pace and carefully assembled my beloved camera (dutifully cleaned last night, including a brand new, perfectly lubed O-ring) and off I trudged. I decided to tour the kelp since I happen to like wee beasties as much as I like big beasties). I got in and did the baby otter kick out to mid-patch and dropped on down. I managed this pic (you can't see me)

imnothere.jpg

and, like a dolt, I turned the viewing window off to conserve the batteries. That's right, you guessed it, the rest of the pics look like varying stages of this.....

flatty.jpg

hoprosies.jpg

umbcrab.jpg

And I did have a minor emergency when my heart stopped beating, but that was because I was swimming merrily along when something tugged my fin and I almost swallowed my regulator. Lucky for me, it was just another diver wanting to be buddies. Granted, an obese naked diver, but beggers can't be choosers, y'know? He stayed with me for the rest of the 49 minute dive and I admit I was reluctant to leave him behind... I'm sad to say this is the only memento I have of him...
divebuddy.jpg

Water was a fairly balmy 50 degrees at 26 feet. After the first dive, I stayed out cursing my camera housing for about 2 hours and then went back in for a shorter visit to the tube anemones just off the breakwater wall. Only lasted 31 minutes before floating back to the beach (and the hot showers). Hopefully it will be just as calm on thursday (when I have a go at flooding my back up camera, as well)....

Cheers,
Kat

Um, Kat? I've never seem those signs at BW before, hope you used soap :wink:!
Glad you found the Hopkins roses, they sure are pretty, like your naked friend too, glad you weren't totally alone.

Kat, thanks for sharing the photos.

We were diving at McAbee one day and a guy taking water samples started chatting with us. When I asked how bad it was, he said on any given day they were high, and he wouldn't be caught swimming there. We have seen the same signs posted on the very remote regions of the Sonoma North Coast, where there are no sewage dumps and not many people. Welcome to the "new" world.

Most likely fecal coliform. I probably would have found another spot to dive.

Kat - Since it's mid week, you should head over to Lobos if you can get in.

Ben, that hasn't been updated since 8/3.
Kat, did you find a buddy yet for Thursday? I've looked at the wave model and am starting to feel ill...

Kat - Since it's mid week, you should head over to Lobos if you can get in.
You can't solo at Lobos though...trust me on that one. For some reason my buddies decided to kick the wrong way at the surface. I took a compass heading and face down scootered back on the surface headed in. Wasn't long before ranger Chuck showed up saying I was in trouble for solo diving. Fortunately my lost buddies were just coming out of the water, and vouched that I was in fact diving with them, and we had all surfaced together (Not DIR I know pffft). He eased up and stayed to chat for a few minutes.

You can't solo at Lobos though...trust me on that one. For some reason my buddies decided to kick the wrong way at the surface. I took a compass heading and face down scootered back on the surface headed in. Wasn't long before ranger Chuck showed up saying I was in trouble for solo diving. Fortunately my lost buddies were just coming out of the water, and vouched that I was in fact diving with them, and we had all surfaced together (Not DIR I know pffft). He eased up and stayed to chat for a few minutes.

Good point, I forgot she's solo diving. Well, if she can hook up with a buddy, Lobos might be free of high levels of poop bacteria. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom