Breakwater complaint

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alibi 2

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
The season is on us...beautiful weather, tourist crowds...warming water and lots of sunshine...we usually arrive very early at breakwater...we have notice in the winter that there are groups that want to stay together...and thats totally understandable...but the group doesnt arrive together ,,,in fact some of the group is very late so those that arrive early trip to save spots by putting lawn chairs or dive floats in parking spots to save them for friends...

This is not legal and it is very rude to the rest of us who also have friends or students who want to park together...this last weekend there almost all spaces were full by 7:30am ...a woman was blocking off 2 spaces with dive tubes...we talked to her and and she was from the valley saving spots for late student...we told her that we also had students comming and if they got there before hers they would take the spots...it is better to discuss this than fight...she was very understanding and had no problem...I watched as at least 4 people stopped at the parking spots then moved on because they were blocked...she would not make eye contact because if asked she would have to move the floats and allow parking...one of our students arrived and I had him ask to have the float removed so he could park...there was no problem...she was able to save one spot for her student...

Summer is on us...and it will be more crowded...I just want to say ,,,respect others don't be rude...don't block parking spots...remember...parking is on a first come bases and can not be saved....just blowing off on a very pet peeve...thanks..oh yeah,,,diving last weekend was awesome!...saw very large rainbow nudibrach...

your so right, I would never choose this spot to dive on a weekend personally...but when teaching a class its hard to beat...the grass area is a great gathering place and the access is hard to beat for a first dive...I think I now have the bottom memorized so I know exactly where to set the floats!...

We always have everyone keep their gear out of the way of the road and sidewalks in respect for none divers. We police our area and make sure all garbage is thrown out (even if it isnt ours)....we encourage the students to be "embassadors" of the sport and kindly answer the questions asked by the curious kids and tourist who have many times never seen a diver or the ocean...

Unfortunately, bad behavior such as blocking off parking spaces in an attempt to save them of late arriving "friends"...gives the cities of monterey /pacific grove more ammunition to make rules restricting access to the beaches for all divers..

I always wondered about the "saving spots" etiquette at BW. Thanks for the post.

I don't recall having seen them, but I don't really check the signage as I just pay & park. Unfortunately, I think that the people who are saving spots are disrespecting their fellow divers. And, in all actuality, the instructors or other divers should be teaching their students / friends / countrymen - whatever - a valuable lesson that if you are not on time, you have to schlep your gear. Tough love. Tough luck.

I think we do really well around here (NorCal/MoCal) with being a good community of respectful divers (to one another) - and it is this kind of behavior that makes me question that though. That being said, I was at the BW on Saturday as well and it was a total free for all with respects to the sheer numbers of students, instructors trying to find any place to teach, etc. Although I was very surprised to see that instructors were teaching en masse along the sidewalk on the wall, making it hard for people (even not in the gear) to get through. What made it all the more frustrating was the fact that the grass had TONS of space on it. It'd be nice if instructors used that area for reconvening, especially when teaching large numbers of students.

I'm surprised that the meter maids don't make them remove the lawn chairs or whatever is used to block spaces. That's quite a bit of revenue the city is losing having chairs occupy those spaces instead of fee paying vehicles. I imagine that's why the signs were put up. :eyebrow: Everyone should respect that it is first come first served and if you can't get there early, that's your problem. :no:

Last sat. was unusual as UC Davis was there with a 22 person class/ 3 instructors and various DM's but I thought they handled the group well. They were assembled on the lawn by us...most meet on the lawn but everyone has to take a short walk to look at the ocean...your really can't explain the topography, waves currents ,,,ect. without assembling to look at the water...fortunatly it doesnt take but a minute and most try to stay out of everyones way...

I havent seen the signs but I'll be sure to take a look...and the parking patrol doesnt come around till 9am and the spot savers are done before that...

Saw this thread a bit late and was really curious about which complaint was being aired in this thread. I can think of lots of little annoying things about the Breakwater.

When I go down to help with a class, we have our students show up no later than 6am. We explain the parking and have absolutely no pity for those that arrive late. Heck showing up that early and getting in the water early often yields the best dives of the day with great visibility, calmest conditions, no stirred up sand and you can get your dives in early so you can do other stuff the rest of the day.....or do more dives!! When teaching its nice to get the students finished early so they can spend the other half of the day going to the aquarium etc. and be rested for the next day of diving. Thats when we sneak off to the nicer sites for dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom