Breakwater 1-11-09 Photos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ryssyr

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi everyone.

A small group of us went out to Breakwater today. The guilty parties were:

Devin
Ron
Mike G.
Mike M.
and Me.

Dive #1 All of us took off for the Metridium fields-nothing too exciting, but mike g. has a great vid of a playful sea lion.

Dive #2 Devin, Ron & Me along the wall (67min!)-- sea lions were really buzzing around today.

Dive #3 Devin, Mike G. and Me again along the wall and some middle of the beach. It was getting late and we could only get in about 45min before we got chilly and the sun set.

Ron had the rockin' surface support vehicle and Carrie was there to help us keep things together. Thanks for the hospitality!

Devin and I did all 3 dives and I was pooped. Brrr the water seemed really cold today. I had a new 100mm macro lens with me and was practicing my new technique of picking a shot instead of being lazy and shooting everything with the wide angle.

I posted my pics here.

-Robin

Awesome shots! I need to dive Breakwater again...

Great shots Robin! The metridiums came out amazing and the lingcod with the fish in it's mouth was a great find.

Great shots Robin! The metridiums came out amazing and the lingcod with the fish in it's mouth was a great find.

Thanks. The only problem is with the macro you just cant shoot anything quickly. I got real lucky with the lingcod, but the photo is cropped and heavily adjusted since I didnt have time to make adjustments before he swam off. Mike G took some pics of it, and maybe has a vid.

Looks like the halibut were out in full force this weekend... We saw a couple at McAbee on Saturday as well. I wish I'd brought my camera - major surge aside, there was a lot of fish and crab activity.

Great photos,

May I ask what that fish encrusted in algae is? .. other than very cool looking?
I think the shot of the ling with prey is great. You can "color correct" it with photoshop to improve the quality if you want.

I have yet to follow the breakwater out thinking that those monster sea lions would harras me, but I need to do that dive.

Steve

Hey Robin,

Awesome macro pics, just amazing. I saw you down patiently snapping all those pics and thought, what is he shoting, now I see.

I do have the videos that you are talking about, getting buzzed at almost 60 feet at the Metridiums by that fast swimming seal and the lincod with the kelp fish in his mouth.

I've tried to upload the video but it appears too long I will have to shorten the video or ask Gombessa how he does his videos which are very long.

In the meantime here is a surface shot of the gang, Devin, Robin and Ron. I had a great time and Robin next dive will finally be drysuit. This hopefully marks the last of my wetsuit dives and I was glad I had the chance to dive with friends.

Man I was so bone cold after my first dive that when Devin and Robin went right back for dive 2 I ran away into Ron's camper to heat up, thanks for the warm coco and clam chowder, Kari you are the best.

Mike

de5q13.jpg

Yeah it was cold alright. My feet were frozen after dive 2, but they seemed to warm up (or go dead) after sitting out for lunch.

Blewgrass: What kelp encrusted fish? I went looking and didn't fine one,
what's the picture number?

Mike: That looks more like a blue rockfish in the ling's mouth to me.

Robin, the color is OK, but you need to punch up the contrast. Autolevels
will probably fix it. And if you aim the strobes up a bit more, you'll have
less of a problem in the originals. Aim the strobes up as much as you
can get away with. The farther away the subject, the more you can
point them up. Digital makes it easy to check -- try some practice shots
of a big rock.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom