Breaking the "self-donning" rule, for fun and profit ;) HELP???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaSixString

Contributor
Reaction score
Drysuit afficienados (sp?)

Lets say a certain solo diving, six-string playing, diver had the opportunity to buy a drysuit at a good price, but it was a rear entry (with the zipper across the shoulders). Is it possible for a fellow to don one of these on his own? Its a trilam.

If it is possible, how difficult is it? I can reach from shoulder to shoulder with one of my arms. Can i get a good seal on that zipper on my own, or am i going to end up with a body anchor?

I never really learned to play the six string well, but I did learn to don a rear entry, shoulder zip trilam suit by myself. I used a dog leash to assist with zipping and unzipping.

You need to be especially careful not to get the undies caught in the zipper.

You also need to be flexible enough to attach and unattach whatever you're using to assist with zipping. And flexible enough to be able check that your zipper is fully closed :11:

You can also use a wire coat hanger, sharp end out. There was a thread about a year ago about this same thing in the solo diver forum. Opt in and click here.

thanks folks....i knew it could be done......now lets see if i can put theory into practice. Does anyone know a good coathanger removing doctor? :wink:

ScubaSixString:
thanks folks....i knew it could be done......now lets see if i can put theory into practice. Does anyone know a good coathanger removing doctor? :wink:
No, But you can get someone to take you for a walk with a dog leash!

I attach a carabiner at shoulder level on the boat with cave line and then clip the zipper pull the the carabiner. You can then rotate your body to zip the back zip. The advantage over 3 ft leash is that you can get a slight vector away form your body which helps keep the undies out of the suit.

A 3 to 4 ft leash/gear line works great for getting out of the suit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom