Breaking news from the whale wars

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Welcome to the Whale Wars thread where the topic is arguing about what the topic is.

I recall when the thread was about the ramming and subsequent sinking of the Ady Gil by a Japanese whaler. The subject has obviously eveolved better than some of the participants.

I am a believer that if a species can be shown to be on the way to becoming an endangered species then the hunt should stop by everybody irrespective of the past and cutlure. Any culture that will hunt a knowingly endangered species should be hunted themselves. If a species is NOT endangered then I personally am ok with hunting it for survival and not sport.

But I still cannot place blame solely and squarely on the whaler for the ramming and sinking of dummies on the Ady Gil.

Why was my first post so wrong and off topic halemano?

I never said it was off topic. My opinion is you jumped to conclusions because of your cult upbringing. 20 seconds of video from the Japanese ship set you off on a rant that you now will never be able to control.

When the video from the Ady Gil was released there was no way for you to look at it and really see what happened. The collision was caused by the mistakes of the Whaler Captain. All the SS is guilty of in the particular instance of the collision is assuming the Japanese Captain had the same respect for human life that they do and possibly panicking at the last moment.

I never said it was off topic. My opinion is you jumped to conclusions because of your cult upbringing.

Well I have experience in such groups so I think that gives me a pretty good basis to make judgements from.

20 seconds of video from the Japanese ship set you off on a rant that you now will never be able to control.

I have no wish to control myself in regards to debating about various topics. But I am really struggling to see how what I wrote could be considered a 'rant', or rather, no more 'ranty' than posts from either side of the debate.

When the video from the Ady Gil was released there was no way for you to look at it and really see what happened. The collision was caused by the mistakes of the Whaler Captain. All the SS is guilty of in the particular instance of the collision is assuming the Japanese Captain had the same respect for human life that they do and possibly panicking at the last moment.

I think we will have to agree to disagree. Neither one of us can prove our point so it comes down to a difference of opinion.

Perhaps you have jumped to conclusions because you are unable to see anything beyong you own distorted POV on this subject. You see one sided when two sided is reality IMO.

I never said it was off topic. My opinion is you jumped to conclusions because of your cult upbringing. 20 seconds of video from the Japanese ship set you off on a rant that you now will never be able to control.

You might want to take off those blinders halemano.

When the video from the Ady Gil was released there was no way for you to look at it and really see what happened. The collision was caused intentionnaly by the Sea Shepherd . All the whaler captain is guilty of in the particular instance of the collision is assuming the Sea Shepherd had the same respect for human life that they do [-]and possibly panicking at the last moment[/-].

Corrected that for you.:eyebrow:

Have you ever seen video of a nomad Orca in the water with a defenseless human. The orca eats mammals, but for some reason it shows control of that instinct and does not eat the human.

I have shown control in this thread; others have not. My goal in life is to be in control, so that when I have something to ad to life, the people who know me will understand that I rarely jump to unfounded conclusions. Others do not seem to care.

Interesting rebuttle

The Sea Shepherds were "done for the day" and sitting on an at idle non harassing at the time small ship in the middle of a big ocean. The Whaler Captain made a series of course corrections over nearly 3 minutes with the Ady Gil always in sight to make an attack run that resulted in the mallicious running down of the small SS ship.

I have repeatedly said that for years SS have been setting a trap for the Japanese Whalers. The fact that the trap worked does not mean that in this particular instance the Ady Gil was under orders to let the Whaler run it down. If you find the audio tapes of those orders you can use them as evidence.

The Ady Gil was just sitting in the water, hardly moving. The Whaler Captain made obvious turns to put his boat too close to the Ady Gil. His was the onus to stay clear; he did not. The Ady Gil did not cause the collision by not going anywhere for over 2 minutes!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom