Breaking news from the whale wars

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Firstly, I thought it was an Australian territory where the whaling santuary is and only four countries have recognised it (all ones who have other claims over Antarctica). Japan has never recognised the claim nor the Ross Dependency claim by New Zealand if that is where whaling occurs also. Why should they? Japan also thinks it contravenes the ICRW too.

Argentina, Chile, the U.K., Norway, Australia, France and New Zealand all have claims over Antarctic waters. Of these claims, the only areas that I'm aware of that are in dispute between these parties, is a discrepancy of area rights between Argentina, Chile and the U.K. which have overlapping claims. No other country has claimed the lands that New Zealand has claimed (off of their countries recognized land mass).

Although Japan does not officially recognize the claims of Australia and New Zealand, they signed the Antarctic Treaty in 1959 and ratified it in 1961. This recognizes the International Whaling Commission as the authority responsible for whaling.

Chronology

9 Jan 1841 Ross Ice Shelf and Victoria Land claimed
for Britain.

23 Jul 1923 Antarctica between 150°W to 160°E officially
annexed by Britain.

30 Jul 1923 Claim transferred to New Zealand
(Ross Dependency).

20 Jan 1957 New Zealand's permanent base in Antarctica
(Scott Base) opens.

1 Jul 1996 New Zealand Antarctic Institute, later named
Antarctica New Zealand, established.

Few international countries dispute the legality of the claims made, based upon the traditional right of conquered lands which form the basis of the make-up of all current countries.

Although Japan does not officially recognize the claims of Australia and New Zealand, they signed the Antarctic Treaty in 1959 and ratified it in 1961. This recognizes the International Whaling Commission as the authority responsible for whaling.

The IWC and its rules are irrelevant. They have no authority to enforce any rules or agreements in regards to whaling. Japan does not recognise the claims of Australia + New Zealand officially, as you stated, nor do they dispute it. However, this means that there is no legal reason for them not to whale there. They also dispute the ICRW too.

The IWC and its rules are irrelevant.

I agree with the others, it's difficult to have a conversation, neigh impossible, if one has to repeat things:

"Although Japan does not officially recognize the claims of Australia and New Zealand, they signed the Antarctic Treaty in 1959 and ratified it in 1961. This recognizes the International Whaling Commission as the authority responsible for whaling."

According to the International Whaling Commission, they do not have an accurate estimate on the Minke population in the southern hemisphere. It is currently under scientific study (Population Estimates). Where do you get your statistics from? :idk:

To sanction killing of a species in an area where you do not have an accurate census in my mind is irresponsible. Just saying.

If the IWC cant provide a reliable estimate, minke whale hunting should be stopped until the study is completed and the hunting proved sustainable. But that doesn't justify the stupid actions of SS.

But that doesn't justify the stupid actions of SS.

Nothing that the Japanese could have hunted would have justified the stupid actions and behaviour of the SS. All moral and legal issues, nothing justifies the physical attacks that the SS impose on people and the fact that they are constantly putting other's lives in jeopardy through their actions. They played with a bear and finally got bit.

Artificial_Reef.jpg

Nothing that the Japanese could have hunted would have justified the stupid actions and behaviour of the SS. All moral and legal issues, nothing justifies the physical attacks that the SS impose on people and the fact that they are constantly putting other's lives in jeopardy through their actions. They played with a bear and finally got bit.

Artificial_Reef.jpg

#1 rule when two ship are approaching each other on a collision course

Tonnage Counts

I agree with the others, it's difficult to have a conversation, neigh impossible, if one has to repeat things:

"Although Japan does not officially recognize the claims of Australia and New Zealand, they signed the Antarctic Treaty in 1959 and ratified it in 1961. This recognizes the International Whaling Commission as the authority responsible for whaling."

I will repeat myself too. The IWC is a volunteer organisation, its agreements NON-BINDING and NON-ENFORCEABLE. They are not even treaty level.

I will repeat myself too. The IWC is a volunteer organisation, its agreements NON-BINDING and NON-ENFORCEABLE. They are not even treaty level.

:w-t-f: :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3: :popcorn:

The IWC jax, not the Antarctic treaty. Japan is free to leave any time. Other whaling nations have.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom