Breaking news from the whale wars

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I hereby apologize for making the assumption of your slurring of my personal scientific background when in fact you where stating your lack of understanding on the actual results of the research being conducted.

So, now that you are slurring the research and claiming there are "no results" I await your explanation of what exactly you think is wrong with them... surprise me and prove you have even read any of them.

I am waiting to be dazzled by your multi-disciplinary grasp of oceanography, embryo development, lipids, genetics and speciation.

You've claimed the research is of no value, now let's hear why. I would be fascinated to know how many of the articles you have even read to make this conclusion. Be honest now.

That's one of the things that bugs me the most about this. If everything is on the up and up why are they lying and saying it's research? It's obviously a load of BS.

I'm in the mood to "research" some prime rib now.

This argument is moot. Alot of nations understand that the "research" permits are a sham and a farce, but there is no leagal ground to put a stop to it.

Australia has issued warnings to both parties in the past, warning them to be a little more prudent in their interactions, becasue they are operating in a pretty remote are of the world that may preclude timely rescue in the event of a life threatening accident.

Do you need a bigger font or some new glasses?

I am pointing out the existence of the research, not commenting on it's quality.

For the third time, I will repeat:

I simply posted the links to disprove those people who were claiming there was no research at all. [

I await your apology for falsely accusing me of slurring your scientific background a few posts ago. I suspect I will be waiting a long time though as you seem determined to read what you want to read rather than what is written.

I kinda feel sorry for geoff clutching at straws from his indefensible position. He's provided no links other than those from the IWC website and ignores arguments that completely refute his opinion.
While I understand it is easy to us that are well informed to just pile on I would like to respectfully allow him to state his position.

I think it's only fair that we all have a level playing field.
:popcorn:

Like the whales have a level playing field?

Hey, I'm just trying to play nice!
I don't feel that we should have any personal malice towards anyone regardless of the way they've acted in the past.
We all learn from our mistakes but some of us have yet to receive their diplomas.

So, now that you are slurring the research and claiming there are "no results" I await your explanation of what exactly you think is wrong with them... surprise me and prove you have even read any of them.

I am waiting to be dazzled by your multi-disciplinary grasp of oceanography, embryo development, lipids, genetics and speciation.

You've claimed the research is of no value, now let's hear why. I would be fascinated to know how many of the articles you have even read to make this conclusion. Be honest now.

Never said there was no results. What I am saying is there are no meaningful or beneficial results that justify the imbalance in the arctic eco system caused by the removal of large numbers of minke whales both adult and juvenile.

Based on the agreement with the IWC the purpose of the research being conducted in to establish the size of the whale population as well as the breading habits of the minke whale. The purpose per there charter to the IWC is to determine when the population is of a large enough size to resume commercial whaling operations. The reason that is stated by the japanese for the killing of the whales for the research is the tissue samples are needed to gain information on the feeding habits and the health of the whales based on the thickness of the blubber. The ongoing debate is based around the fact that only about 1/20 of the killed whale is used for this purpose. Based on the IWC guideline any portion of the whale remaining following the collection of samples can be sold as food product.

With this reasoning in mind the whales which are damaged beyond a point of being sellable would still be able to used for the research in question and yet these whales are cut free to sink to the bottom of the ocean.

All the information being gained through the sampling could just as easily be obtained through non-lethal means but as we have already established research with out results or profit stops. Since profit is obtained through the sale of the whale meat the need for ongoing results is not needed.

Regarding the number of the research articles I read regarding the whaling actives in question the answer is simple its as many as I can get my hands on. To address a statement you made earlier in this thread that there is no way to access said research articles with out paying for them, that is simply not true in fact the majority of research papers are in the public domain, the majority of papers which are paid access only have extremely high price tags set for access in an effort to keep them out of the hands of the general population (some for the purpose of keeping the information private and others for the purpose of covering the expenses of a failed project). This year its been about seven.

One of the most interesting positions is that every time the IWC meets the japanese continue to try to put the Humpback Whale back on the table for research whaling, this has been used a number of times in the past as a manor of keeping the collection of minke whale samples on the table.

The largest collection of research regarding the minke whale population shows the imbalance of the global marine ecosystem as a result of the whaling in the Arctic. since the whales in question migrate to the arctic from other parts of the world for breading the taking of whales in the Arctic is not only effecting the whale populations in the Arctic itself but its effects can be seen through out the ocean waters around the world.

Am I an expert on the Minke whale population and migration habits no. Am I smart enough to know that killing whales as a means of determining if there is enough of them to kill in a sustainable manor is counterproductive yes.

Do you need a bigger font or some new glasses?

I am pointing out the existence of the research, not commenting on it's quality.

For the third time, I will repeat:

I simply posted the links to disprove those people who were claiming there was no research at all. [

I await your apology for falsely accusing me of slurring your scientific background a few posts ago. I suspect I will be waiting a long time though as you seem determined to read what you want to read rather than what is written.

boooooo

Never said there was no results.

Actually you did, in post 169 (my bold).
Maybe Im wrong here maybe the japanese are immune to the world wide finical problems and can afford to spend money on research that results in no results year after year.

What I am saying is there are no meaningful or beneficial results that justify the imbalance in the arctic eco system caused by the removal of large numbers of minke whales both adult and juvenile.

OK, I can work with that statement. Do you accept that the best Southen Ocean minke whale population estimates are around 800,000 minke whales?

If so, do you think the quote of less than 1,000 minke whales a year has causes an imbalance? That is 0.13% of the population, in a species that lives 20 years or so. My view is this level is sustainable, regardless of whether you think it is morally correct or not.

Based on the agreement with the IWC the purpose of the research being conducted in to establish the size of the whale population as well as the breading habits of the minke whale. The purpose per there charter to the IWC is to determine when the population is of a large enough size to resume commercial whaling operations. The reason that is stated by the japanese for the killing of the whales for the research is the tissue samples are needed to gain information on the feeding habits and the health of the whales based on the thickness of the blubber. The ongoing debate is based around the fact that only about 1/20 of the killed whale is used for this purpose. Based on the IWC guideline any portion of the whale remaining following the collection of samples can be sold as food product.

No disagreement from me.

With this reasoning in mind the whales which are damaged beyond a point of being sellable would still be able to used for the research in question and yet these whales are cut free to sink to the bottom of the ocean.

That is interesting - do you have any further information to support this.

All the information being gained through the sampling could just as easily be obtained through non-lethal means

Seems very unlikely to me - do you have any further information to support this?

Am I an expert on the Minke whale population and migration habits no. Am I smart enough to know that killing whales as a means of determining if there is enough of them to kill in a sustainable manor is counterproductive yes.

Only if it has a material effect on the population. Based on what I see, it doesn't.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom