Breaking news: Alabama student drowns

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tom Smedley:
I believe that the instructor that teaches at UA is SSI. The skill of leaving equipment at the bottom and going to the surface is not in the requirements for certification in any agency that I know of. However at a University course where skills must be spread out over a semester exercises could be added and still be within standards. Of course, we don't know for a fact if this student was entry open water or a higher level of training.

Thanks Tom.

I know most things are possible, just not plausible for someone to "fatally damage his lungs" in 20 feet of water. There has to be more to the story. Does anyone else see this as odd?

Condolences to the family and friends.

godivegirl:
I know most things are possible, just not plausible for someone to "fatally damage his lungs" in 20 feet of water. There has to be more to the story. Does anyone else see this as odd?

No I don't see it as odd. From say 16 feet (in and 18 foot pool) would be roughly 1/2 ATM or 7.5 PSI. ATV tires run on less.

Pete

Supposedly the lungs can be damaged by an over pressurization of just a couple of PSI. That means that an ascent of just a few feet with full lungs and a closed airway is sufficient to cause damage.

Four feet will do it. This is a tremendous tragedy especially since it is so avoidable.

Thalassamania:
Four feet will do it. This is a tremendous tragedy especially since it is so avoidable.

Why don't all divers know this? I just asked my 11 yr old and he knew the answer that 3 or 4 feet can kill you.

Tom Smedley:
I believe that the instructor that teaches at UA is SSI. The skill of leaving equipment at the bottom and going to the surface is not in the requirements for certification in any agency that I know of. However at a University course where skills must be spread out over a semester exercises could be added and still be within standards. Of course, we don't know for a fact if this student was entry open water or a higher level of training.
As someone who has conducted that exercise since the late 1960s I’d like to know more of the details, how the course was organized, what gear was worn, where was the victim’s buddy, where were the staff, what was the student to staff ratio, etc.

I've sat through my son's SSI open water class, and have read through his book. My belief is that neither the book nor the instructor emphasize the need to continously exhale when ever the regulator is out of your mouth - enough.

The talk on ESA is simply "You have more than enough air in your lung to get to the surface, just remember to breath normallly".

I feel that not enough time is spent on talking about ESA or CESA without a regulator. This lack of emphasis on blowing bubbles could be the reason why a panicked student swam to the surface without blowing bubbles.

I know that I blew bubbles, did ESA without a regulator in both the pool and OW. This experience - if not talked about seriously - can result in death of a diver who can not find his regulator or is OOA with a regulator full of water.

I don't know about SSI but the PADI materials definately emphisize "blowing bubbles" when the reg isn't in the mouth or when doing an ESA with the reg still in the mouth.

Ignorance might cause one to hold their breath but panic might be another cause. In that regard, it would be nice to know more about the class.

Ditch and Don and bail-outs aren't anything new and they just shouldn't be fatal.

"Go and blow" was the mantra in my PDIC OW class for CESA.

With the accelerated classes many divers get today these vital facts get boiled down to a statement. Lacking the physics lesson that used to come with a dive education it often goes in one ear and out the other without full comprehension.

I am not saying that this the case in this accident. From what I have read university based programs are often excellent. I believe it is still not known what level this diver was operating at or training to.

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom