Breaking news: Alabama student drowns

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As an Auburn man, and Bama's hated rival, I offer my condolences.

Why the staff writers on the above article added that another member of the fraternity was charged for a drug-related murder makes no sense. That writer is simply a 'tool'.

My prayers are offered to Zach's family, his fraternity brothers, and the UA community.

DGriffin:
As an Auburn man, and Bama's hated rival, I offer my condolences.

Why the staff writers on the above article added that another member of the fraternity was charged for a drug-related murder makes no sense. That writer is simply a 'tool'.

My prayers are offered to Zach's family, his fraternity brothers, and the UA community.

you're going to love NTP....He & Ears ought to get along just grand.....rotflmao........GEAUX TIGERS.........

The Mobile Press-Register reports today that the cause of death was barotrauma. "Pressurized air that swelled in the body as he ascended from the bottom of the pool without exhaling caused the death", according to the article. The depth of the pool was 18 feet.

Mike

Sad. This illustrates the dangers of breathing compressed gas. It doesn't need to be deep to hurt you if you hold your breath, etc. I keep finding examples of folks letting uncertified people as well as young kids use their dive gear in swimming pools. When I caution them they tell me it is only a pool, or it's only ten feet deep, etc.

This one definitely gets your attention.

Condolences to the family, schoolmates and all who knew Zachary.

The finding underscores the need to maintain an open airway. I'd like to think that it has become perfectly automatic to me but in a moment of stress or distraction it could easily happen to any diver.

Pete

I used to think that our LDS' 10' training pool would be more useful if it was deeper, but I see why the shallower pool is much safer for training new divers. Let them work out all their issues and hopefully be proficient/like second nature in 10 feet or less before venturing deeper or in o/w.

The equipment removal and then surface drill that they were doing requires a degree of comfort and awareness that is often not found in new divers. Do they do this drill in the first couple of days of o/w certification training or later in the course or according to individual skill level?

Ayisha:
I used to think that our LDS' 10' training pool would be more useful if it was deeper, but I see why the shallower pool is much safer for training new divers. Let them work out all their issues and hopefully be proficient/like second nature in 10 feet or less before venturing deeper or in o/w.

The equipment removal and then surface drill that they were doing requires a degree of comfort and awareness that is often not found in new divers. Do they do this drill in the first couple of days of o/w certification training or later in the course or according to individual skill level?

I don't remember when we worked on our's, but stop & think about the 2,3,4 or whatever day 'crash' courses that are out there.....If I were a DM or Instructor in these, I would not be able to sleep @ nite....Anyone have any Tums???....

Does anyone know which agency requires this skill?

I believe that the instructor that teaches at UA is SSI. The skill of leaving equipment at the bottom and going to the surface is not in the requirements for certification in any agency that I know of. However at a University course where skills must be spread out over a semester exercises could be added and still be within standards. Of course, we don't know for a fact if this student was entry open water or a higher level of training.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom