Breaking in a new mask confusion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oceancurrent

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
For years I have been using with great success a combination of "lens burning" and "toothpaste scrubbing" to prepare my new masks before first use (otherwise they fog up instantly and hopelessly). I just picked up a new mask for my kid from Mares (dual lens, tempered glass, nothing special) and to my surprise noticed the following sentences in the user manual:

"Never allow open flames or blasts of hot air to come into direct contact with the lens. This could damage the temper causing the lens to break and [sic] serious risk to the wearer's eyes."

"Never use toothpaste, surficants, solvents, soaps (even if neutral), detergents, alcohol or hydrocarbons to clean the mask, as they could cause deterioration of the parts. Keep away from oils, greases, suntan creams and lotions."

I am very confused now. If I read this right, Mares is saying that I should not burn the lens, scrub with toothpaste, or even apply mask defoggers (surficants, soaps, detergents). Even more, my kid should not use sunscreen while using the mask. This is exactly the opposite of everything I have been practicing for 25 years. So, have I been doing it all wrong all these years causing irreparable damage to my masks? Or is the Mares user manual written by some defensive lawyers who have no clue about masks and have stopped short of writing something crazy like "never use this mask in the water"? How is one to break in a new mask while observing these manufacturer's restrictions?

From DGX
1656938733291.png

We're about to get 25 pages of everybody's recipes for mask defog now :rolleyes:

I think this subject has been covered ad nauseam, but I concur with the no flame part as well as use of toothpaste, they're both myths IMHO, just spit in it!

There are many ways to get a mask ready, I’ve used every method on many many masks and never had a breakage issue but I have also found a good scrub with dish detergent to work fine on newer masks.

The Mares blurb would indicate the they may have some anti fog coating on it since it precludes everything but spit. If you only dive warm water the spit may be enough, cold water usually requires more.

Try some Dawn dish liquid. That stuff cleans about anything.

For years I have been using with great success a combination of "lens burning" and "toothpaste scrubbing" to prepare my new masks before first use (otherwise they fog up instantly and hopelessly). I just picked up a new mask for my kid from Mares (dual lens, tempered glass, nothing special) and to my surprise noticed the following sentences in the user manual:

"Never allow open flames or blasts of hot air to come into direct contact with the lens. This could damage the temper causing the lens to break and [sic] serious risk to the wearer's eyes."

"Never use toothpaste, surficants, solvents, soaps (even if neutral), detergents, alcohol or hydrocarbons to clean the mask, as they could cause deterioration of the parts. Keep away from oils, greases, suntan creams and lotions."

I am very confused now. If I read this right, Mares is saying that I should not burn the lens, scrub with toothpaste, or even apply mask defoggers (surficants, soaps, detergents). Even more, my kid should not use sunscreen while using the mask. This is exactly the opposite of everything I have been practicing for 25 years. So, have I been doing it all wrong all these years causing irreparable damage to my masks? Or is the Mares user manual written by some defensive lawyers who have no clue about masks and have stopped short of writing something crazy like "never use this mask in the water"? How is one to break in a new mask while observing these manufac

I am normally physically hot so my mask fogs terribly. I've used every anti-fogging strategy. Tho with hydrophobic lenses I've become more cautious. Recent dive trip I saw a " senior" diver using a trick and I stole it. I have a round makeup brush with soft 1" bristles and about as big around as my pinkie. I cut the wooden handle down to a couple of inches long. At the start of the day I scrub my mask w this brush and J&J baby shampoo mixture. Scrub it well. Before each dive I drop a bit of J&J into the mask and rinse lightly. I no longer have fogging issues.

Required no preparation with my scuba pro masks.

Picked up two Beauchat Lux S masks and both required no less than 4 to 5 burning sessions before it didn't fog up 10 minutes into a dive.

I tried toothpaste and dish soap in parallel. Had to resort to burning.

If it were just one Lux S, I'd say defective or a fluke.
But two required extensive burning.

I've "burned off" more than a dozen new masks, of all different makes and models. Mares included. I've shown lots of people how to do it and they have successfully burned off their masks.

Not 1 has had a problem afterwards.

I don't pay attention to manufactures disclaimers, they just need to allow for the fact that some idiot will use a blowtorch and melt everything.

I agree. It does seem overly cautious by Mares to put these restrictions in the manual. The mask is absolutely nothing special - just an inexpensive junior mask. No "ultra clear" glass, polycarbonite glass, special treatment, or any resemblance of a "super mask" as far as I can tell - just the usual tempered glass. I will give it a good toothpaste scrub - if it melts into my hands, then yeah whatever. :whistling:

Please don't take this as advice as to what to do with your masks ... always follow the manufacturer instructions. 😈

Back
Top Bottom