Breaking...Emerald Loses Divers off Jupiter 6/21

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I respect Randy Jordan as a captain and operator. I have been on his boat once and thought he was an excellent captain/operation. It is sad to see 3 incidents in the month including 2 lost groups. This is one reason I always (well almost) have a VHF radio on me when I am diving in addition to a 6' and 8' DSMB. Maybe VHF could have reached the boat?? When it gets too old, I will buy a PLB - too bad Nautilus Lifeline does not still make a VHF two-way version.

Glad everyone was safe. I hope Emerald Charters can recover from this.

I wondered if there has been a "Sea Change" in the way the currents work,; faster, cross direction, something that would explain why the dive operation went from great to flailing recently. They definitely should review their entire operation for ways to integrate better safety procedures.

No changes in the sea, just the level of competence of some of the folks operating on it. Two times in less than a month this op has lost divers, and neither time did they find them. Thanks Sea Tow.

Sea Tow captain who found missing divers speaks

Two major incidents of losing divers. Time to think twice about using Emerald.

Last edited:
I plan on using them the next time I go to Florida... Stuff happens, no big deal. Maybe all divers should be given a Nautilus, make it part of the dive package. In a case like this, it may have expedited a rescue.

I'd dive with them again. The suggestion for a Nautilus isn't a bad idea at all if you want some added peace of mind. One thing interesting...I haven't heard of any of the lost divers coming on the forum complaining. If they had cause to think something was amiss in the way the boat was managed, seems like we'd be seeing some caustic reviews. Anyone have cause to know differently?

Richard.

This may be a question primarily for boat operators. The news clip seemed to suggest that the Coast Guard would be investigating the incident. What factors invoke Coast Guard action? And, are there procedures that other operators in the area routinely employ (e.g. dive flag required, etc.) that Emerald does not use, but which they should consider?

Time to think twice about using Emerald.
Did you EVER think about using Emerald? I would bet "not ever" would be the answer. It would appear that you have an anti-Emerald agenda here.

I hope they take a major economic hit.
Nice... kick someone when they're down. I guess it's not against the ToS to be a jerk.

I would dive Emerald again. I love the fact that I don't have to follow a flag, especially when spearing. Send up your SMB when you start ascending. The earlier the better. He's never lost me before.

Send up your SMB when you start ascending. The earlier the better.
That would seem to be a rather simple and effective solution. And, requiring divers to carry one is not an onerous standard. We have boats that require divers to be equipped with an SMB when diving certain sites off the NC coast, one site in particular. I can understand not wanting to follow a flag if you are engaged in an activity that might take you off the general path (spearing, photography, etc.). Having an SMB would appear to be a logical practice when diving in those waters.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom