Breaking...Emerald Loses Divers off Jupiter 6/21

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tekkydiver

Contributor
Reaction score
The news just keeps getting worse for this dive op. Local news (WPTV TV West Palm Beach NBC affiliate in West Palm Beach) is reporting Sea Tow rescued 6 divers after the dive boat Emerald lost them. Sea Tow returned them shore. No word it they sent a bill!

Definitely a run of bad luck lately, which hopefully they will shake. Be interesting to hear more details when available.

here is my post from the Vero Beach Scuba Club Facebook page
------------------------------------------------
Let me weigh in here for a moment. Lots of comments...many negative. First and foremost....lets be happy that there was a happy ending. The last thing the dive community needs are bad endings.

Now for my 2 cents. We do not really know the circumstances. If the divers strayed from the planned/expected path and were riding a current they easily can be taken far from the boat. for the moment, I do not know how experienced the divers were but Emerald tends to cater to hardcore divers.

It is not easy to keep track of divers, especially when they wander afar. Working on various boats, I've seen various procedures to keep the divers safe and found.
1) we put a DM and a flag in the water for EVERY dive. Not every diver will stay with the DM. However, the boat will track that flag and generally divers will be in line with it throughout the drift.
2) The training of the captain and crew is critical. The captain has the ultimate responsibility. Watching the flag, knowing current, watching for bubbles and keeping an eye out for markers.
3) setting limits for divers is key. Let divers know their maximum dive time. In general, your max time will be 55 minutes with your head on the surface no more than 60 minutes (yes....your gas plan and profile may differ). No exception to this except on tec only and rebreather only trips

there is more but this is a start. And it is still not enough. There are lots of variables in the ocean.

Now one more thing. It's been a long while since I've been diving with Emerald. In my experience, they always ran a good, safe operation. I stopped diving with them because of the shark feeding thing. Incidents like this one can happen to ANY of us at any time. Emerald has had an unfortunate chain of events plague them. Those of us in the local dive industry need to respect and support each other for the betterment of our local industry.

Dive often and dive safe

--pgs

Bad luck or incompetence? Once is a mistake, twice is a pattern.
This is 3 news reports in a month. I'm all about there being no such thing as bad publicity, but still...

And this was the new Captain's first day. Bad first day.

Rumor has it JDC boat went out that day...got to the inlet...rough seas...Captain made the decision to abort diving for the day. Emerald goes out, no dive guide, no float ball, they follow bubbles, seas too rough to follow bubbles, boat captain loses divers.

That's just what I heard.

Diver rescued in Jupiter speaks

Diving on some of the commercial ops around here is getting dangerous. More and more Dive ops without flags, even where required. Boats some times string their divers out over a mile and simply can't see them to keep track. Only a matter of time before more bad news.

I wondered if there has been a "Sea Change" in the way the currents work,; faster, cross direction, something that would explain why the dive operation went from great to flailing recently. They definitely should review their entire operation for ways to integrate better safety procedures.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom