Breaking...Emerald Loses Divers off Jupiter 6/21

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No worries Richard, my goal is to bring attention to the deficiencies of the practices.There are established protocols that will hopefully keep this from occurring so often.Randy and Emerald are just lightning rods due to the shark trips, maybe these incidents will bring some awareness to divers and dive ops alike.

I have quite a few dives in the area and here are my thoughts. Carry a large surface marker, big and bright, a signal device, audio or mirror, and a Nautilus old style if possible or spring for the new one. Don't forget a good buddy as 2 are easier to see than 1. I had been adrift a few years ago, the sea picked up and the boat was looking for me in the opposite direction. Had the big marker and audio but they still did not see me. Another dive boat luckely found me about 30 minutes after surfacing. Bought the Nautilus the next day. The 30 minutes felt like hours.
Finally i would always check to make sure the captain has years of experience in the area, with divers ( not fishing) as they know the currents like the back of their hand. Captain Bill Walker and Jupiter Dive center have it, just to name a few of the many good ones. I would NEVER get on a new drift boat in the area without an experienced crew and never on a private boat with a weekend captain.

Just my personal thoughts.

I head about that....
Im Diving in this area this weekend. No excited I'm nervous.

QUOTE="tekkydiver, post: 8020625, member: 180672"]The news just keeps getting worse for this dive op. Local news (WPTV TV West Palm Beach NBC affiliate in West Palm Beach) is reporting Sea Tow rescued 6 divers after the dive boat Emerald lost them. Sea Tow returned them shore. No word it they sent a bill![/QUOTE]

If you're referring to state law, it's not legally required.
The issue here is not whether a Divers Down Flag is legally required but that state law is not applicable outside of State waters. IMHO, Florida has the best Divers Down Flag law in the nation. It simply doesn't apply in Federal waters.

It's all about limits. When I splash, I assess the seas before I do.
  • Getting off the boat is easy
    • Can I get back on in these seas?
  • Do I have enough SMB for the boat to spot me in these seas?
  • What's the current like?
  • Is this dive within my skill set?
  • Is this dive within my certification level?
  • Do I have the stamina for this dive?
    • Well rested?
    • Well hydrated?
    • Feeling strong enough?
    • Feeling good?
  • Do I trust the boat and crew in these seas?
    • Recommended by whom?
    • How many times have I dove with them?
    • Do they have up-to-date equipment?
  • Am I willing to bet my health and even life on completing this dive?
    • There ain't nothing down there worth dying for!
  • Remember: You can call a dive at any time, for any reason, with no questions asked and no repercussions. Yes, you can even call the dive before you begin the dive.
There is only one thing worse than disappointing a customer. That's bringing one home hurt.
Listen to the boat captain. They often don't get paid if they don't go out. If they are at all hesitant about going out, call the trip! If they ever give you an option about not going out, don't be a doofus: TAKE THE OPTION!!! AND... if you don't take their hints and they have to call your dive for you, please, please, please thank and tip them well. They've just done a huge favor for you. Just because you're in denial about it, they aren't.

Just carry a big surface marker and deploy it on your safety stop for additional viability. Weather has been great and seas relatively flat. Relax and enjoy. Also only go with experienced captain and crew. They make a world of difference.

Have the seas really been flat lately? I've been checking the beach cams and it still looks Bumpy out there. We're diving to get our Advanced certification. A fisherman turned up missing out there in the Lake Worth Inlet a few days ago too

Just carry a big surface marker and deploy it on your safety stop for additional viability. Weather has been great and seas relatively flat. Relax and enjoy. Also only go with experienced captain and crew. They make a world of difference.

I'm looking out the window right and there is little wind. The last 2 days looked good too. Going snorkeling to Blowing Rocks in an hour.

If I'm off I'll dive with you. I carry a really big surface marker, audio signal device and the old style Nautilus. Who are you diving with ? Which boat ? AM is usually better. I have been on most boats in the area and yes there are a few exceptional operations for safety and some not so. Happy to give you my take. PS weekdays are usually quite a few less divers

I'll be on the Sirena boat tomorrow morning and Sunday morning.

I'm looking out the window right and there is little wind. The last 2 days looked good too. Going snorkeling to Blowing Rocks in an hour.

If I'm off I'll dive with you. I carry a really big surface marker, audio signal device and the old style Nautilus. Who are you diving with ? Which boat ? AM is usually better. I have been on most boats in the area and yes there are a few exceptional operations for safety and some not so. Happy to give you my take. PS weekdays are usually quite a few less divers

Great boat and safe operation. Was out with them a few weeks ago. Seas this weekend should be 2 or less.

Would make the trip however i will be in Little Cayman on a trip starting tomorrow.

Enjoy Palm Beach diving as turtles are everywhere now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom