Breaking down wrecked regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ghetto work around if you don't want to buy a poppet tool is to use a whittled down chopstick or plastic spudger to keep the poppet from turning while you loosen/remove the nut. I rebuilt a few Conshelf seconds that way before I bought the poppet tool for them (4 prong poppet vs. the 3 prong you have there).

I thought about it but since these are just for experimentation, with no intent of rebuilding, I stopped there. I know I could get it apart if I really needed to but I don't.

I must admit, it's a lot less scary now that I've taken two 2nds apart. Their operation makes perfect sense now and I understand the importance of pressing the purge valve when adjusting cracking pressure.

Maybe next weekend I'll break into the AquaLung 1st from eBay and a Sherwood Brut 1st I got last year in a crate full of used gear from a friend getting out of diving.

There are videos on YouTube for some regulators for how to break them down, service them, and put them back together.

edit: First stage regulators are a little more difficult, due to more often requiring specialized tools than 2nd stages. Potentially a spanner wrench or two, and then a tool for the inner O-rings.

I don't expect any of these will be dived again. They're just for experimentation.

Yeah the thing is if you believe the regs you are pulling apart dry instead of soaked are junk, your work is junk

I got this SP 195 as far apart as I'm going to take it. The Sherwood needed no special tools but this one does to get the poppet out.

No need to take this apart dude, just change the rubber bit

I bash dry 1st stages with a plastic hammer to loosen things

I thought about it but since these are just for experimentation, with no intent of rebuilding, I stopped there. I know I could get it apart if I really needed to but I don't.

I must admit, it's a lot less scary now that I've taken two 2nds apart. Their operation makes perfect sense now and I understand the importance of pressing the purge valve when adjusting cracking pressure.

Maybe next weekend I'll break into the AquaLung 1st from eBay and a Sherwood Brut 1st I got last year in a crate full of used gear from a friend getting out of diving.
I have at least one you can have if you want. Remind me the next time we get together and I'll bring it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom