Brass, Bronze, Stainless, Plated?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just thought I'd give an update. I decided to by my SS bolt snaps from www.laughingblenny.com. They were the least expensive that I could find in onesy-twosy quantities (at just $5 each) and they have SS springs.

WadeGuthrie:
Just thought I'd give an update. I decided to by my SS bolt snaps from www.laughingblenny.com. They were the least expensive that I could find in onesy-twosy quantities (at just $5 each) and they have SS springs.

Thanks for the update Wade. I still think I'll stick with the marine brass snaps with SS springs from Dive Rite Express. Even at $5 each for the SS snaps from LaughingBlenny, I can't really justify the increased cost over the brass snaps at around $1.50-$2.50 each.

Remember... Brass and Alumin(i)um and salt water do not mix... so keep those brass bits away from any ally gear! Unless you like it turning to mush! stainless will also corrode ally after a while... actually steer clear of ally altogether if you can :) and wash off that tank valve well!

FatRob:
Remember... Brass and Alumin(i)um and salt water do not mix... so keep those brass bits away from any ally gear! Unless you like it turning to mush! stainless will also corrode ally after a while... actually steer clear of ally altogether if you can :) and wash off that tank valve well!

Thanks for the info FatRob. One of the reasons I'm comfortable with the brass snaps is that most of my diving is in fresh water. Also, I'm pretty meticulous when it comes to maintaining my gear. So the brass snaps should work fine for me. If not, they didn't cost much and I can upgrade to SS later if necessary.

Back
Top Bottom