Brand not carried at LDS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WQFTruckster

Registered
Reaction score
I am a new diver and may soon be in the market for my first set of equipment. My question is what if the brand/specific product of equipment your looking for is not offered by your LDS? For instance, After reading some reviews and comments on this board I am interested in the Zeagle Ranger BC. Unfortunately Zeagle is not offered by my LDS. So, in this case, would it be better to look for other sources (perhaps online, such as scubatoys.com) or should I just stick to what is offered at my LDS? I like my LDS and am being certified with them. Honestly I would like to give them my business, but I wish I could chose what I want rather than feeling like I have to chose whats on their shelf. Just wondering what others thoughts were on this. I DO NOT want this thread to turn into another LDS versus internet thread, I've read plenty of those already.

So, you want a Ford, but the Chevy dealer won't get one for you?

I don't see any difference. IF they don't have what you want, go somewhere else.

I really can't understand why people can't figure that out

MechDiver:
So, you want a Ford, but the Chevy dealer won't get one for you?
yup, thats pretty much it. The problem comes when I am good friends with the Ford dealer, trust them and want to give them my business (they will be the main shop servicing my equipment, air fills, etc.), and the best way to get the Chevy is mail order.

Just remember if you get that Chevy through the mail, it may be pretty expensive mailing it back for service, if/when needed

You have a couple of options. First, you can find a local LDS that carries the gear you want. If that doesn't work, then you can look into dealers like Scubatoys that are authorized dealers of the gear you want and sell it over the internet. Lastly, you can looking into other dealers like LeisurePro that are not authorized dealers, but give a good solid warranty of their own.

One thing to remember, you are not tied to one particular LDS. You can buy whatever you want from whomever you want.

WQFTruckster:
I DO NOT want this thread to turn into another LDS versus internet thread, I've read plenty of those already.

Then why, knowing that you very well may have to go online to get what you want, did you ask the question in the first place? One of the core issues (besides price) that sends divers to the net is choice.

You also mention that you and the LDS owner are good friends. My friends don't take offense when I buy what I want from who I want to buy it. Only you can assess how much future grief this will cause you. I've seen some LDS personnel get nasty in regards to any gear that didn't come from their store, whether it came thru the mail or down the block. Will this affect your current or future training plans? I can't think of another scenario under which the LDS will be seeing you internet purchases as they aren't "authorized" to work on it anyway.

If you don't like your LDS BC's buy elsewhere. there is no sense in buying gear you don't like or want just to support the LDS's. Do you by any chance like the reg sets that your LDS has? If so think about buying the set from them to show your support.

BTW ???Holeinthewalltennessee??? are you from Hohewald Tennessee by any chance?

WQFTruckster:
yup, thats pretty much it. The problem comes when I am good friends with the Ford dealer, trust them and want to give them my business (they will be the main shop servicing my equipment, air fills, etc.), and the best way to get the Chevy is mail order.
You may trust your friendship enough to tell him up-front why you like the Zeagle product, and what can he do to match performance/price. I am sure he will understand if you look elswhere for the BCD you really want. He may even be able to get one in for you but don't feel pressured to buy everything from him just because of the personal relationship. Friendship often interferes with good business judgment, you seem to have had the good sense to research the product.

Well... I would definetley go someplace where you can at least try the Zeagle Ranger BC. I dive with it, and I love it. I tried on a LOT of BC's before I bought one, and I would reccommend that you do as well.

Are there and LDS's around that might carry the Zeagle line so that you could at least try it?

I don't really know if that helped any... but I tried!

:)
Kayla

yknot:
Then why, knowing that you very well may have to go online to get what you want, did you ask the question in the first place? One of the core issues (besides price) that sends divers to the net is choice.
Yes, you're right, I just didn't want it to turn into the "support your local LDS" vs "Online saved me 60%.." aruments that there are already so many of. Money is not the object here. I was just looking for oppinions on what others would do in my situation: new diver, interested in equipment not offered by LDS. Is it worth limiting my search to the LDS's brands, atleast in the beginning to keep the advantages of dealing with a local shop? I'm just "thinking out loud" here and looking for others advice and oppinions. Thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom