Brand New Oxycheq Adjustable Harness Failed on First Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Personally I wear a drysuit when the water is 4C. The padding comment was meant to be a joke. I guess it didn't translate well. I use a single piece of webbing.

Maybe I should have trolled you guys a bit longer.

drysuits are overrated, wear a t-shirt in 4C.

Wow, I didn't know about the rep for customer service problems. I complained once in an online discussion about a slow order through a dive shop, and a guy from the OxyCheq factory chimed in and told me everything I wanted to know about the shop's order, also offered to send me my stuff direct & immediately if I preferred. I was understandably impressed.
My kid & I have OxyCheq extreme wings. Tough as nails, really like them. I have the deluxe harness you show & it's great quality, been used maybe 300 dives already. The webbing is nicely softer than standard stuff and the two side clips are a great luxury for easily getting the rig off for boarding a zodiac. I have had standard webbing and it occasionally left me with bruises even though I wear an exceptionally thick undersuit. No clips is also doable but I enjoy the luxury of NOT doing it :)
Sorry you are having troubles and OxyCheq should shore up their customer service end because by my experience they've got some really nice products. Service and attitude could go a long way toward making up for monday-morning items like the harness you received.

Last edited:
Hi Guys, thank you very much for the support. Just to be fair, Oxycheq did reply to my email over the weekend. They explained that they tried to recreate the problem but was not successful and that they don't know what caused the failure. The reason why my wife chose a padded harness was because during our pool sessions we learned using a jacket type BCD and she feels more comfortable with the paddings.
I'm not really sure what happened here nor do I know how to proceed. Btw guys I am not based in the US, I'm actually in the Philippines and bought the Oxycheq from an autorized dealer. The dealer has finally agreed to give me a full refund but I'm just a little annoyed that only me and my wife feels the gravity of the situation (or are we over reacting?). My wife could have been seriously hurt or worst and all we get is an "ooops, sorry about that, here's your money back. Thank you! Neeext!" I just think people in this industry should be more accountable of their products. These are just harnesses, I don't think it's that hard to make it sturdy enough to be safe. Btw the reason we chose Oxycheq was because firstly it's made in the USA and secondly we love the small foot print of the wing (ok we're newbs so we are not sure if we are qualified to give this statement, for all we know this might not be a small wing after all). Oxycheq was not the cheapest BCD in the store, in fact it's more on the expensive side. We thought the price premium is an indicator of quality which added to our disappointment.
Anyways thank you for all your suggestions and advice, they are all greatly appreciated. :)

Hi Guys, thank you very much for the support. Just to be fair, Oxycheq did reply to my email over the weekend. They explained that they tried to recreate the problem but was not successful and that they don't know what caused the failure. The reason why my wife chose a padded harness was because during our pool sessions we learned using a jacket type BCD and she feels more comfortable with the paddings.
I'm not really sure what happened here nor do I know how to proceed. Btw guys I am not based in the US, I'm actually in the Philippines and bought the Oxycheq from an autorized dealer. The dealer has finally agreed to give me a full refund but I'm just a little annoyed that only me and my wife feels the gravity of the situation (or are we over reacting?). My wife could have been seriously hurt or worst and all we get is an "ooops, sorry about that, here's your money back. Thank you! Neeext!" I just think people in this industry should be more accountable of their products. These are just harnesses, I don't think it's that hard to make it sturdy enough to be safe. Btw the reason we chose Oxycheq was because firstly it's made in the USA and secondly we love the small foot print of the wing (ok we're newbs so we are not sure if we are qualified to give this statement, for all we know this might not be a small wing after all). Oxycheq was not the cheapest BCD in the store, in fact it's more on the expensive side. We thought the price premium is an indicator of quality which added to our disappointment.
Anyways thank you for all your suggestions and advice, they are all greatly appreciated. :)

While a broken harness may be a PITA inconvenience, it should not be a major safety issue.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom