Brand New Diver - Where To Get Some Experience

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks LK.

Let me tell you about last week….

My wife took her open water course from a Thai-ownded shop in Chonburi. It was one-on-one and she did quite well with both the theory and confined water exercises. The open water part was originally scheduled to be done out of Pattaya, but because conditions were so poor the instructor switched to the Sattahip area.

On Thursday morning it took us two hours and twenty minutes to drive from Bang Saen, where we were staying, to the Warasin pier. A traffic nightmare. So bad, in fact, that we decided to rent a local hotel room rather than do the five hour round trip to Bang Saen and back for the second day of diving.

But, the switch from Pattaya to Sattahip was a good call. Conditions were much better: clear skies, no wind, no swells, no chop.

Unfortunately for me, the visibility sucked. I'd say somewhere between three and six meters. The first dive was on the SS Suddhadib (Hard Deep). I kept wondering, "Why am I here? There's nothing to see." My wife only did the coral islands dives and, for her purposes, the vis didn't matter much. She passed all the skills tests and is now a licensed PADI Open Water diver.

When we were discussing her next dive last night her first remark was, "I never want to go to Chonburi again."

Oh, well.

---------- Post added June 23rd, 2014 at 07:10 AM ----------

Beach dives should be an easier start then a crowded boat dive. That way you can move at your own pace, stay shallow, stay longer and work on getting comfortable in a lower stress environment. I do not know the area but this site may help you find suitable beach dive locations.

Thailand - Wannadive.net - World dive site atlas

I agree. I lived most of my adult life on Saipan where most of the diving was beach dives. I don't know much about beach diving in Thailand, but I'll have a look at the link you provided.

two.jpg

Attachments

• 2014-06-19 12.03.50.jpg
    2014-06-19 12.03.50.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 73
Whatever you're going to do, make sure she relaxes.

That automatically makes sure her breathing is ok, which is a prerequisite for good buoyancy, and gives you a chance to work on her buoyancy without her even knowing/noticing it. Which is especially for buoyancy the best way.

As long as she relaxes and enjoys the rest will come more or less automatically.

When we first learned to dive , in our mid to late forties, we got private guides on a number of occasions. This made a massive difference to my confidence in the water. Some we requested and on other occasions we were just lucky.

Five year on I am have now done nearly 350 dives , have done Komodo, Raja Ampat and several more liveaboards.

The right patient private guide in the beginning can be invaluable.

Thanks all. Plenty of good suggestions.

Thanks LK.

Let me tell you about last week….

My wife took her open water course from a Thai-ownded shop in Chonburi. It was one-on-one and she did quite well with both the theory and confined water exercises. The open water part was originally scheduled to be done out of Pattaya, but because conditions were so poor the instructor switched to the Sattahip area.

On Thursday morning it took us two hours and twenty minutes to drive from Bang Saen, where we were staying, to the Warasin pier. A traffic nightmare. So bad, in fact, that we decided to rent a local hotel room rather than do the five hour round trip to Bang Saen and back for the second day of diving.

But, the switch from Pattaya to Sattahip was a good call. Conditions were much better: clear skies, no wind, no swells, no chop.

Unfortunately for me, the visibility sucked. I'd say somewhere between three and six meters. The first dive was on the SS Suddhadib (Hard Deep). I kept wondering, "Why am I here? There's nothing to see." My wife only did the coral islands dives and, for her purposes, the vis didn't matter much. She passed all the skills tests and is now a licensed PADI Open Water diver.

When we were discussing her next dive last night her first remark was, "I never want to go to Chonburi again."

Oh, well.

Yes, as you have seen, diving at Samae San is although an improvement to Pattaya, far from brilliant. Personally I never dive the wreck now, was quite broken up last time I did about 3 - 4 years ago.

At least your wife got her qualification.

I wasn't aware of the Chonburi shop, do they do any diving in that area or just at Pattaya / Samae San?

I wasn't aware of the Chonburi shop, do they do any diving in that area or just at Pattaya / Samae San?

It's a really small operation. Basically a guy and his wife and an assistant. I think most of their dive trips are Pattaya and Samae San, although they do organize trips further afield. They have a Philippines trip coming up in August and I think they did Koh Tao last month.

AC Diving Chonburi <- Google Maps Link

It's a really small operation. Basically a guy and his wife and an assistant. I think most of their dive trips are Pattaya and Samae San, although they do organize trips further afield. They have a Philippines trip coming up in August and I think they did Koh Tao last month.

AC Diving Chonburi <- Google Maps Link

Thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom