Brand New Diver - Where To Get Some Experience

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Buadhai

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
My wife just finished her open water course. However, I don't think she's ready for standard recreational diving; e.g.. commercial day trips or a live aboard. She needs work on equalizing, trim and overall underwater comfort.

I'm trying to figure out where we could go in the next few weeks that would offer a relaxed, no-pressure atmosphere for her while giving her the chance to improve a few skills.

Cost is not a huge issue for us, be we will be traveling from Korat (northeast Thailand), so it has to be some place to which we can travel with relative ease.

Any ideas? Limbo? Stephen?

Ko Tao. You can catch a flight direct from Chiang Mai to Ko Samui and take a short ferry to Ko Tao. (Not sure how far Korat is form CM though...). where did you do the OW course?

I stayed and learned at Big Blue, but there are a ton of options.

Chumphon: I saw there a few new not so good divers who were taken care off very good. As it is a Thai company they had plenty of staff and 2 Thai "Dive-Master" took care of 1 person.
And the dives there are easy but nice.

But it was a couple of years ago, things could have changed so don't blame me if it isn't as good as expected.
I would recommend that she gets own equipment, I found it, specially on the beginning easier if you have your own equipment and not every time a different BCD, that sometimes fit, sometimes too big or too small.
Different trimming every time, etc etc.

And let her speak with the shop before....not that some unfriendly Thais or Farangs let her feel unsecure under water and cause her to give up, because she feels being in danger.

Can basically be anywhere. All dive areas have very relaxed and easy going divesites, this time of year just Khao Lak is not an option.

But anywhere else, including Pattaya, the Golf Islands and Andaman Sea should be fine for her. The main thing is that you have to make sure she gets some personal attention on the first 2 days or so of diving.

h90 - Do you remember the dive shop? We're actually planning a drive down south so a few days at Chumphon would be easy to fit in.

Steven, the times I've been on day trip boats in Thailand it seems that personal attention was pretty much out of the question: so many divers, so little time.

How would she do on the Scuba Adventure South Andaman trip in late July?

There can always be personal attention, normally we mange to give a group of 2 a private guide for example. And that really, really helps.

She might be ok on that trip, especially since Hin Daeng is unfortunately not an option, but I would recommend to first do a daytrip to the Racha islands, to get used to the local habits, the equipment, the way of diving, etc. If all is fine and she is ok on the daytrip, as indicated by both your wife and instructor/guide, she could join the liveaboard. One of the recommendations from either your wife or instructor/guide could be to give her a private guide on the liveaboard, which would be an option (that would mean 1 extra instructor/guide on board, so there would be a surcharge).

Another vote for Koh Tao from me for new divers looking to gain experience and confidence underwater.
Short boat journeys as there are a lot of dive sites very close to KT, out early morning, back by lunch time, 2 dives and costing is very favourable too.

Upon second thought, I don't think she needs a private guide. She just needs to be left alone (under my supervision) for a while so she can practice certain skills. What she doesn't need is the pressure of having to keep up with a group and all that entails.

Ray divers at Samae San near Pattaya are very good, Thai owned and run, I assume your wife is Thai? They cater mainly to weekend trips from Bangkok dive shops, but think the boat is available every day subject to demand. Staff and the customers alike always been very friendly and welcoming.

They are much cheaper than all of the Pattaya shops, both the diving at Samae San and the general environment are more pleasant than Pattaya, only downside is that they do not include transport to the DC / Boat, so if you are staying in Pattaya it can be a problem unless you have your own transport.

Don't think they have a website, they certainly never used to have. If you wish to make contact with them PM me and I can get you a phone number.

Beach dives should be an easier start then a crowded boat dive. That way you can move at your own pace, stay shallow, stay longer and work on getting comfortable in a lower stress environment. I do not know the area but this site may help you find suitable beach dive locations.

Thailand - Wannadive.net - World dive site atlas

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom