Brain Stem Injury

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, they decided to go ahead and take Jess into surgery to relieve some of the pressure on her brain. Initially, once the piece of skull was removed, they had her inner cranial pressure (ICP) down to 3 (normal is 5 or 6?) Shortly after surgery, however, it spiked up to 40+, higher than it had been prior to the operation. Susan (mom) has been told that there's basically nothing more that can be done medically.

Latest development is that they now believe Jess is brain-dead. Now that mom is accepting what is likely the inevitable, dad believes she'll pull through, since she survived the earlier surgery.

Are they doing serial EEG's?...I am guessing if they are flat for a given period, the discussion of withdrawing life support could come up. I hate to mention this, but I know you have seen some tough things.

Some studies support gief resolution can be facilitated when organ donation takes place. Just prepare yourself, it may come up....she may be approached. The timing is never good but some feel that meaning can be found through the gift....very personal decision obviously. I only mention it so that you can be prepared to support her.

Also, some hospitals have places similiar to Ronald mcDonald's housing for families of pediatric cancer patients. .....Motor homes were often used outside our trauma center.

Best thoughts for you and your friend in this heartbreak. I cannot imagine the pain. God bless.

CL

I'm not sure about the serial EEG's. I believe they're getting ready to have the "talk" regarding taking Jess off life support, but Susan (mom) had to be given a sedative and is currently resting. At this point, with no positive news for the prognosis, I think pulling the plug would be the best thing, but then I'm not her parent. My guess is, knowing her natural father, he'll do his best to avoid it. It's an odd situation, Susan has full custody, but she allowed Jess to live with her dad when Susan and her new husband moved. So, I'm not sure if he can block the final decision or not.

I think Jess would be a very good candidate for being a donor, being that her only injuries are to her head, face and upper spine. Unless her organs have been affected by the brain damage, of course.

Sacred Heart has been very good to the family and has an apartment building nearby for them to stay for free. They also provide some food, though nobody's eating much under the circumstances.

This has been a sucky week, which would have been bad enough with Jessica's accident, but then another close friend died of cancer, Tuesday. He and I were supposed to do coffee this week. They say trouble comes in threes, I can't wait to see what's next.

Thank you, and to everybody else who has offered words of support. It means a lot.

You might want to check out this website and group: http://www.compassionatefriends.org/

It is a support group for parents who have lost children. In addition to being a great support to the parents who lose a child, they have a lot of great information/suggestions on how to help as a friend of the parent. I found their information to be very helpful to me on how to best support a friend of mine who's daughter was killed in a car crash. I never went beyond their website, but they have chapters throughout the country.
I can't imagine anything worse than losing a child, my heart goes out to your friend.

scubapolly:
You might want to check out this website and group: http://www.compassionatefriends.org/

It is a support group for parents who have lost children. In addition to being a great support to the parents who lose a child, they have a lot of great information/suggestions on how to help as a friend of the parent. I found their information to be very helpful to me on how to best support a friend of mine who's daughter was killed in a car crash. I never went beyond their website, but they have chapters throughout the country.
I can't imagine anything worse than losing a child, my heart goes out to your friend.
Thanks, so much, for this info. I perused through it a bit and saved it in my favorites for "later use". I also noted that they do have a local chapter. I think this info will be very handy when the time comes.

Actually found stuff I can use right now. Thanks, again, it's so hard to know what to say/do and this webiste helps clarify a ton!

Jcsgt,

Thank you for being such a good friend to your friends. We know you hurt too, and we feel for you.

Jcsgt:
Thanks, so much, for this info. I perused through it a bit and saved it in my favorites for "later use". I also noted that they do have a local chapter. I think this info will be very handy when the time comes.

Actually found stuff I can use right now. Thanks, again, it's so hard to know what to say/do and this webiste helps clarify a ton!

No problem. I would suspect that group might even be helpful during this period of "limbo". I am sure they have members who have been in the position of your friend, with a very dim chance of a recovery. Even if information on how to deal with this decision is not on their website, I am sure they can help your friend through this portion of the tragedy as well.

Should the miricle we are all hoping for not happen, your friend might benifit from hearing about the experience of another mother who had to make the decision to pull the plug, or weather or not to donate their child's organs.

how sad to come home to this....much strength to all of you in this hard time.

Jcsgt, you're a good friend. Very sorry to hear about this.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom