Brac Reef Boat aground

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vincent54

Contributor
Reaction score
Looked like the Brac Reef dive boat was stuck in swells aground on the reef. Anyone know what happened?

South side of entrance. Looks like the swell pushed them to the side.

Sorry. North side of cut

My first guess would be that the boat came unmoored during the night and drifted out with the outgoing tide, winding up on the reef. If it was in use when it went aground, it makes me wonder if they were having engine trouble and stalled as they backed off the throttles to come through the cut or something. Hard to control those big boats riding with the swell if you don't have engines running.

IMG_4178brac_terr (1).jpg

Mike, MyChariotsPhoto, took this picture from the Otter. Looks like it took out the channel marker. Not the best place for reef or boat to end up at. Oops

Anybody seen or heard what happened yet? In absence of any news, I am still assuming the boat slipped off the mooring overnight and drifted out the channel and back onto the reef.

For the record, it didn't slip off the mooring.

Sooo, what happened, is it off the reef yet?

The hull was temporarily patched in situ at low tide, I believe, and it was towed to Grand Cayman for repairs. It could be back by now but I haven't heard anything.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom