BPW wing pics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeanQ:
One other thing. Did you sandwich the wing between the plate and the STA?
Yes I did. I also used the eye holes you can see at the edge of the wing on the inner portion to attach the wing to the edges of the plate with zip ties.

jonnythan:
Lots of things do :wink:

Loosen the shoulder straps a bit, put on a crotch strap, and thread the cam bands through the STA's slots, not the backplate's slots. Then get in the water and take more pictures :wink:

Really, using a BP/W without the crotch strap, that will explain why it sits so high.......nice.

The general consensus seems to be that you get a crotch strap ASAP, thread the cam bands throught the STA and lower the BP on your back.

After this you should be OK

I use a 45# bladder and have no problems with single cylinder use.

It's a bummer that DR only drills 1 hole in the top of the BP.
My OMS has 2 holes on the BP and 3 holes with gromets in the bladder.

Mandy3206:
The general consensus seems to be that you get a crotch strap ASAP, thread the cam bands throught the STA and lower the BP on your back.

After this you should be OK

I use a 45# bladder and have no problems with single cylinder use.

It's a bummer that DR only drills 1 hole in the top of the BP.
My OMS has 2 holes on the BP and 3 holes with gromets in the bladder.

I'll be diving this weekend, so I'll work out everything before then :) I think once I get the BP lower on my back it'll help big time. If necesary I can always drill an extra hole in the BP, but that'll be a last resort.

Thanks everyone!

DrSteve:
I'll be diving this weekend, so I'll work out everything before then :) I think once I get the BP lower on my back it'll help big time. If necesary I can always drill an extra hole in the BP, but that'll be a last resort.

Thanks everyone!

Steve ... looking at the picture, I don't think lowering the backplate will solve the problem. The backplate looks properly positioned ... as does the cylinder. What doesn't look right to me is the position of the wing.

The crotch strap may help ... but from the photo, the wing looks like it's positioned too high with respect to the plate and cylinder. Without seeing the rig, I cannot give you specific advise on how to fix it ... but I think lowering the plate won't solve the problem ... and it may only cause further problems by lowering your center of gravity, which will only exacerbate the issues you've already mentioned with your trim.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
Steve ... looking at the picture, I don't think lowering the backplate will solve the problem. The backplate looks properly positioned ... as does the cylinder. What doesn't look right to me is the position of the wing.

The crotch strap may help ... but from the photo, the wing looks like it's positioned too high with respect to the plate and cylinder. Without seeing the rig, I cannot give you specific advise on how to fix it ... but I think lowering the plate won't solve the problem ... and it may only cause further problems by lowering your center of gravity, which will only exacerbate the issues you've already mentioned with your trim.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Well looking at it from a wearers standpoint I can feel (now) that the plate is maybe an inch or so too high. Unfortunately I don't have enough eye holes in the wing or in the backplate to mount the wing any lower. As a last resort I will consider drilling them out, but I think I will be more inclined to ***** at DR and see what kind of satisfaction guarantee they have (probably none).

DrSteve:
Well looking at it from a wearers standpoint I can feel (now) that the plate is maybe an inch or so too high. Unfortunately I don't have enough eye holes in the wing or in the backplate to mount the wing any lower. As a last resort I will consider drilling them out, but I think I will be more inclined to ***** at DR and see what kind of satisfaction guarantee they have (probably none).

Back when I was staff at a shop that was a Dive Rite dealer I found that they were pretty good at working with their customers. You might try taking the rig into the shop where you purchased it ... or another DR dealer. I suspect the problem is a simple set-up issue, and easily resolved. I can't imagine DR built the wing (even with single mounting holes) to ride as shown in that photo.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
Back when I was staff at a shop that was a Dive Rite dealer I found that they were pretty good at working with their customers. You might try taking the rig into the shop where you purchased it ... or another DR dealer. I suspect the problem is a simple set-up issue, and easily resolved. I can't imagine DR built the wing (even with single mounting holes) to ride as shown in that photo.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
I'd be rather embarrassed about asking my local DR dealer for help as I didn't buy it from them (but I did buy it from an authorised dealer). I sent DR an email today asking for some assistance, I'll post what they say (if they bother to reply).

DrSteve:

Just make sure you drill the hole in the plate in a way that you have 11" from the bottom of the bottom slot, that way, the STA will fit, if you drill too low, you may end up drilling another hole in the crotch strap area of the plate.

If you need to make holes in the bladder, home depot or many marine canvas shops sells a kit of brass gromets with the instalation tool, just make sure you make them 11" apart and not in the bladder area. I addapted a DR Travel Wing to a BP using these gromets, since it doesn't come with the holes for BP use.

The 11" distance is comon with manufacturers to STA stud spacing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom