BPW wing pics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Dr. Steve....
Actually, I think DIR folks would have plenty to say... :wink:

I have only been diving this kind of rig a year, so others probably know better. That wing looks like a doubles rig to me. Most manufacterers have gone to donut shape for singles by now. And as for lift, my doubles wing has 40# of lift.

The wing really looks shifted upwards...Maybe you said already, What make is it?

DrSteve:
Any comments? (Preferably that don't involve making new holes or drilling out the nice plate I just spent hard earned money on and heaven forbid expected to all work out of the box!)

Thanks!

:11: It's not a Halcyon???!! Bungees???!! Well, what can you expect. :nonono:

Seriously, I don't think you get that wing down any further since there is only one hole on the top. You'll have to make one hole above it and that might bring down the wing by an inch or so. However, make sure you don't compromise the integrity of the wing (e.g., drilling into the bladder).

I'm not familiar with that wing but the backplate may not be the right one to use, perhaps? Are they the same make?

After all said and done, you may just have to live with it. Lower the tank and use that portion above your backplate as a pillow when you nap at your safety stop ... horizontally of course... :wink:

jagfish:
Hi Dr. Steve....
Actually, I think DIR folks would have plenty to say... :wink:
He didn't say DIR folks, he said the DR (dive rite) folks (maker of the wing) wouldn't have anything to say.

Jason

From looking at these two pictures, something is wrong here. Look at the distance between the cam bands on the picture of you hovering and then look at the distance between the cam bands on your STA. They don't jive with each other. Looking at where your BP is in reference to your neck, it seems that the BP is too high. It looks like it is being pulled up leading me to believe that you need a crotch strap. Look at how the shoulder straps are pulling up. Look how high up the bottom of the BP is from your weight belt. You need to either re-adjust your harness or get a crotch strap (probably both). Are you even using a STA in the photo of you hovering?

Jason

DiveGolfSki:
I'm not familiar with that wing but the backplate may not be the right one to use, perhaps? Are they the same make?
Yes both Dive Rite plate and wing

DiveGolfSki:
After all said and done, you may just have to live with it. Lower the tank and use that portion above your backplate as a pillow when you nap at your safety stop ... horizontally of course... :wink:
I'll be *****ing to Dive Rite sometime about this if I can't get it right. As for lowering the tank...not an option, I need the tank high (and have done with any BC) so I can adopt a horizontal position. The only option I have is to lower the plate on my back, since I can't lower the wing any.

Jason B:

From looking at these two pictures, something is wrong here. Look at the distance between the cam bands on the picture of you hovering and then look at the distance between the cam bands on your STA. They don't jive with each other. Looking at where your BP is in reference to your neck, it seems that the BP is too high. It looks like it is being pulled up leading me to believe that you need a crotch strap. Look at how the shoulder straps are pulling up. Look how high up the bottom of the BP is from your weight belt. You need to either re-adjust your harness or get a crotch strap (probably both). Are you even using a STA in the photo of you hovering?

Jason
I wonder if he has the STA bolted on, but the cam straps through the backplate.. good catch on the crotch strap...

Jason B:
From looking at these two pictures, something is wrong here. Look at the distance between the cam bands on the picture of you hovering and then look at the distance between the cam bands on your STA. They don't jive with each other.Are you even using a STA in the photo of you hovering?
When I connected everything together I fed the tank bands through the plate as opposed to the STA figuring the STA was more for stability than anything else and since one person on SB wrote about how they lost an STA during a dive!

Jason B:
Looking at where your BP is in reference to your neck, it seems that the BP is too high. It looks like it is being pulled up leading me to believe that you need a crotch strap. Look at how the shoulder straps are pulling up. Look how high up the bottom of the BP is from your weight belt. You need to either re-adjust your harness or get a crotch strap (probably both).
Jason
OK I see what you are saying. I positioned the BP initially by making sure I could touch the top of the plate with my hand (as recommended by http://dir-diver.com/en/equipment/backplate_adjustment.html). But as I wore it I tightened up the shoulder straps to try and make the whole thing more secure/snug on my back. I'll take another look tonight and re-position the plate on me and see how things look from there.

Thank you (and everyone) for your help with this.

Steve

jonnythan:
I wonder if he has the STA bolted on, but the cam straps through the backplate.. good catch on the crotch strap...
Yup...you caught it. It made sense at the time...

DrSteve:
Yup...you caught it. It made sense at the time...
Lots of things do :wink:

Loosen the shoulder straps a bit, put on a crotch strap, and thread the cam bands through the STA's slots, not the backplate's slots. Then get in the water and take more pictures :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom