BPW weight tradeoff

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

have you looked at the diverite hydro lite? i've seen great reviews and it was one of the first non-jacket style BCs i looked at

I haven't seen one in person but it doesn't seem to be a well built as the Transpac. The 30 lb wing is a little big for down south diving. The big one is it only really has one tank strap and a Velcro strap but you might be able to switch out the Velcro strap for an actual tank strap. I read somewhere that the Velcro strap doesn't stay done up. If your only going to use it for down south warm water diving, It will do the job. I would look into the tank strap thing though.

Where/how do you travel? I can get all my kit into an almost-regulation-size (depending on the airline) carry-on, but that leaves no room for spare undies and t-shirts. And then there's sharp things that can't go into cabin and ARA fins that are too long for "regulation" size. So my steel plate goes into checked luggage with fins and trauma shears, problem solved.
After I got my enormous Atomic fins, I gave up on traveling carry-on only when diving, but I would still like to minimize weight wherever possible!

After I got my enormous Atomic fins, I gave up on traveling carry-on only when diving, but I would still like to minimize weight wherever possible!

Unless you buy an ultra-heavy cold water plate, the dry weight difference between steel and alumin(i)um ones is only a couple of pounds. The difference in the water is much more pronounced due to Al's lower density and I'd be surprised if soft plates are any better in that regard. That's why you're better off with "dog bone" or skeleton steel plate if you want to cut luggage weight.

Unless you buy an ultra-heavy cold water plate, the dry weight difference between steel and alumin(i)um ones is only a couple of pounds. The difference in the water is much more pronounced due to Al's lower density and I'd be surprised if soft plates are any better in that regard. That's why you're better off with "dog bone" or skeleton steel plate if you want to cut luggage weight.
like this one? Dive Rite XT Backplate - Lite Stainless

I travel with my cold water single setup, a 6 lb stainless Halcyon BP and 40 lb wing. The backplate, regulators, fold-up Mares gear bag and lights fit into a standard carry-on just fine. I tuck smaller items like underwear or socks into the spaces under or around the backplate. Everything else goes into the checked luggage as I just want the expensive stuff with me in the cabin. I normally try to put the wing in checked luggage folded once in half or rolled carefully around something.

If I dive in just a bathing suit I need no extra weight and trim perfectly, but add a few lbs into the trim pockets if I'm in my 3/2mm wetsuit. For me, I haven't felt the need to purchase a separate travel setup.

$42?!? That has to be too good to be true lol

It's ali express. I never bought anything from them so take it with the appropriate amount of salt.

have you looked at the diverite hydro lite? i've seen great reviews and it was one of the first non-jacket style BCs i looked at

This is another option to consider. 27 lb (12.5 kg) IQ Lite Performance Mono
It is modular like the Transpac, it's lighter and cheaper, and you can add a stainless steel or aluminum backplate to it.

However, if I am a vacation diver and want to travel as light as possible - doesn't that mean I'm carrying that weight in my luggage instead of adding the weight when I get to the dive shop?

You would want a lightweight backplate, either an aluminum one, a stainless steel one with cutouts, or a plastic one (DSS used to make these from Kydex). Assuming a warm water dive, you would then ideally want a lightweight "travel" wing with a capacity of around 20 pounds or so.

I have traveled using my backplate as a backpack with luggage attached to it in place of the wing, and can carry everything I need for a dive that way, and stay within carry-on baggage size limits except for fins. I check the fins and lash them to the backpack to carry my gear at the destination. It's ideal for cruise ships and other situations where you have to hand carry your gear long distances but can count on a tank and weights being supplied when you get to the boat.

There have been several "travel BCs" that are essentially small back-inflate BCs with a light, soft backplate. I haven't used one, but am not sure what the advantage over a BP/W would be.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom