BPW weight tradeoff

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have traveled using my backplate as a backpack with luggage attached to it in place of the wing...

Can you share a photo or link to what this looks like? I've been saying for awhile there should be a way to convert a BCD to a travel backpack since the harness and even hip belts work the same way! Of course my great ideas are never actually new...

Hi,

Newbie here considering BPW setup - I see a lot of people mention that it reduces lead due to the weight of the steel backplate. However, if I am a vacation diver and want to travel as light as possible - doesn't that mean I'm carrying that weight in my luggage instead of adding the weight when I get to the dive shop? (I wouldn't travel with the extra weights needed for a regular bcd setup)

Thanks!
When I went from a Zeagle Brigade/ 35lb wing to a AL BP and basic harness I was able to use about 1 lb less in lead, they weighed pretty close to the same overall. The benefit of it for travel to me was being able to break it down and pack it in a smaller place. You don't get much out of a fancy plate except for bling. They might look like they are uncomfortable but even with a t-shirt you do not feel them.

Can you share a photo or link to what this looks like? I've been saying for awhile there should be a way to convert a BCD to a travel backpack since the harness and even hip belts work the same way! Of course my great ideas are never actually new...

It's in this thread:

Carry-On Backplate-Backpack?

Back
Top Bottom