BPW transition to Single SM

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gheiselt

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello - I have just over 200 dives on BPW and absolutely love it. I dive an aluminum plate, 3mm wetsuit, and no weight.

I have read as much as I can find on single SM and I see a tremendous amount of conflicting views. Many say it provides more freedom than BPW and others say the lopsided weighting is too awkward.

I realize my question may lend to conflicting responses, but many of the most entertaining posts here do :)

What is the solution to managing the buoyancy change throughout the dive on a single AL80? How much weight would I need for SM? Is there more freedom in single SM than BPW? Thank you in advance for your thoughts.

What problem do you have with backmount that you think going to sidemount will solve?

Any excessive roll tendency can be countered with a 2 or 3 lb brick on your right side waist belt. (Depending on how often you kick, you may not even notice.) I doubt that will be your biggest problem, TBH.

Given the choice of single-tank SM vs BM on a recreational dive, I'd personally go with BM. Just because I *can* drive a nail with a crescent wrench doesn't mean I won't be reaching for my hammer. 😉

I dive single tank SM not infrequently and SM for +90% of my dives. I much prefer SM for just about everything.
But I'm not going to recommend it without knowing a lot more about the diving you have planned.

and how is he going to tell you the diving he's planned if he doesn't know
the idiosyncracies, of the gear he plans to use, because, you won't tell him

I feel the freedom aside adrift and asunder

and how is he going to tell you the diving has planned if he doesn't know
the idiosyncracies, of the gear he plans to use, because you won't tell him

I feel the freedom aside adrift and asunder
Thank you all for the variety of answers and non-answers. One of the many things I love about Scubaboard. I am not looking to solve for a problem. I love BPW. I am just curious about SM. Specifically, single, because I primarily dive tropical. My primary interest is around the additional “freedom” many describe. A secondary potential benefit, albeit slight, could be a bit of a weight reduction for travel. I definitely not one to use a crescent wrench as a hammer :) I am passionate about trim and being streamlined, but it’s just for me. I am not the type to expect anybody else to observe the same standards I value. I’m just look to enhance the fun, if that is possible.

Hi
I dive different kinds of set-up but if I go to a place to dive rec alu s80, I only use single SM.
You only need a bungee, D-ring, a tank strap with a clip and a minimalist wing. A reg with second on long hose, second on necklace, gauge with short hp hose and a "normal" inflator hose. Why "normal"? Because it allows you to plug the wing inflator and to walk to the end of the boat or the shore carrying your tank on one hand (and you are safer than BM as your gravity point is lower).
I only use maybe 1 or 2 kg with a 3min wet suit to counter balance the positive force if my tank reaches the 50 bar mark and that's it.
If you are correctly weighted, the wing is only used at the surface to wait for the boat.
No problem with being unbalanced if your trim is good (but it might also depends of body type...).
Go for it and if you don't like it, at least you will be wiser regarding your water awareness.

When I used to do a lot of sidemount diving, I also occasionally did one tank. I did not like the unbalanced feeling, so I had a 2 pound weight that I would transfer positions during the dive to maintain balance. I switched the weight between the waist weight pouches and the center utility pouch. You could probably also use a clip weight. But you would have to bring that.

If you just want to experiment, you can use your existing plate and wing. But you will need to pin the wing to the plate or get one of those weight grids that both hold weight and prevents tacoing.

Jared Hires who recently passed away told me that the use of a plate and wing versus a purpose designed sidemount bcd was like the difference between an suv and a truck with a bed for hauling firewood. They will both work, but one works better than the other.

I have been on a few trips where I single backmounted, backmounted manifolded doubles, and dove sidemount with a single plate and wing at various times during the trip. I did that on those trips for the single purpose of not having to carry both a plate and wing and a sidemount bcd. Not optimal, but a lot lighter.

I never got side mount?
I could understand if you’re cave diving and going through low overheads, or perhaps a set of doubles is too much on your back so sidemount twins relieves that.
But for standard single tank recreational diving with no overheads I don’t see the point.
If you want a feeling of being liberated why not try back pack diving with no BC?
The boats may not like it though, unless you’re in California then they couldn’t care less. Ironic huh?

Back
Top Bottom